Butter Chicken the Paleo Way!
It’s Easter weekend and, for many, that means plenty of eggs – real ones and of the chocolate variety…
This Friday’s mouth-watering Paleo meal from celeb chef and paleo guru Pete Evans does not involve eggs but it is all about chicken and that’s pretty close!
Aussie chef and healthy living advocate, Pete Evans is a star of TV in his homeland, the USA and across Europe, and his paleo cooking has educated millions.
Every Friday Pete and his Paleo Way team offer WatchFit readers an exclusive, nutritious and lip smacking meal.
The paleo way of life is not meant to be restrictive, as you can see from this lovely butter chicken recipe.
All the nasties have been replaced with good-quality ingredients that make it as good, if not better, than the original.
Personally I prefer chicken thighs for their superior flavour and tenderness. And you can be adventurous with your vegetable component. Try eggplant, okra, zucchini, asparagus, pumpkin, sweet potato and Asian water spinach.
The rice has been replaced with cauliflower ‘rice’ but broccoli ‘rice’ is also a big hit too and a gorgeous alternative. Or why not have the best of both worlds and opt for a mixture of both!
Preparation time: 30 minutes
– 4 tablespoons coconut oil
– 1 large onion, diced
– 4 garlic cloves, crushed
– 2 teaspoons of garam masala
– 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
– 1 teaspoon ground coriander
– 1 teaspoon ground ginger
– 1 teaspoon ground cumin
– ½ teaspoon paprika
– 1–2 pinches of cayenne pepper (optional)
– 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
– 3 tablespoons tomato paste
– 1 teaspoon sea salt
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 1 x 400 ml can coconut cream
– 700 g chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
– coriander leaves, to serve
– Cauliflower Rice (see recipe), to serve
1. Heat 4 tablespoons of the coconut oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes until translucent.
3. Turn the heat down to low and stir in the garlic and spices.
4. Add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
5. Add the salt, lemon juice, coconut cream and mix well.
6. Turn the heat up to medium and bring the sauce to a simmer.
7. Add the chicken and stir until well coated with the sauce.
8. Cover the pan with a lid and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20–25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
9. Garnish with the coriander and serve with the cauliflower rice.
Don’t forget to look out each Friday for another wonderful Paleo recipe and keep building your healthy meal repertoire!
THE PALEO WAY 10 WEEK ACTIVATION PROGRAM
The Paleo Way 10 Week Activation Program is a vibrant health, weight management and fitness program, tailored to a Paleo lifestyle. It teaches you the synergy between eating good food, moving your body every day and looking at the positive sides to life. The secrets to a healthier and happier life.
Reclaim your health at The Paleo Way and connect with Expert Pete Evans.