Looking to slim down? All you need is a blender. Blending is one of the quickest and easiest ways to prep healthy foods. Start by sipping one of these nutrient-packed smoothies loaded with fresh fruits and vegetables.
These easy-to-make drinks will help you detox, beautify and energize in just minutes.
Ingredients for Weight Loss
Avocado: About one-fourth of medium avocado. They supply ample healthy fat, which will keep you feel fuller longer and adds creaminess to smoothie. Or use 1 to 2 tablespoons of nuts or nut butters, or 1 to 2 teaspoons of oil like coconut or hemp oil.
Chia or hemp seeds: Make chia gel, it helps unlock the nutrition, is slightly easier to digest, and adds to the creaminess of your smoothie. To make chia seed gel, combine 1tablespoon of chia seeds and 4 tablespoons ofwater in a small container and let sit for 5 – 10 minutes to gel.
Berries: Try raspberries or blackberries. They deliver the most fiber and the least amount of sugar. Check out these frozen fruit smoothie recipes
Flax seeds: Hailed with burning body fat, being high in omega-3s and charged with fibre, these little seeds can really fire up your metabolism. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of milled flax seeds to your smoothie.
Tea: To avoid the extra calories, substitute juice or milk with tea. Herbal tea is a good substitute. Green tea contains healthful nutrients, including a compound thought to aid in weight loss, and it has a mild flavor.
Beans: They should be known as “healthy people’s meat” instead of “poor people’s meat”, as they’re often called. While the fiber content of beans helps keep things moving, it also gives you that “I’m full” feeling. Satiating your hunger is the key to preventing overeating and consuming too many calories for the day.
Leafy greens: They are also high in fiber. Make sure to rotate your greens on a regular basis.
Ingredients to Avoid
The most important thing you want to avoid in your smoothies is excess sugar. Even “healthier” sugar from natural sources such as fruit, honey, and maple syrup should be minimized.
– Fruit juice. Juice is often high in sugar and calories and low in nutritional value.
– Sweeteners. “If your smoothie tastes very sweet, you are probably over doing it on the sweetener and potentially consuming too much sugar for a weight loss plan”, says physiotherapist Ryan Carmody.
– Fruit. A lot of fruit in one smoothie can spike your blood sugar and cause digestive problems. A good rule of thumb is to stick to berries.
Build a Better Smoothie
You need four things to create your own tasty, healthy smoothie combos.
1. A liquid base. I favor nondairy milk like almond or coconut. Also a great alternative would be a herbal tea.
2. Lean protein. To stay lean and keep a healthy metabolic rate, protein should make up roughly 25-30 percent of your calories. Getting protein at every meal helps you maintain lean muscle mass, which means you burn more calories throughout the day.
Your best bets: nuts, seeds, legumes and protein powder. Due to food sensitivities I usually suggest to go with hemp or pea protein powder.
3. Healthy fats. These give you energy, make your smoothie satisfying, and help your body absorb vitamins.
4. High-fiber carbs. Berries and apples beat any other fruit on my good carb list. As for veggies, spinach and cucumber have the mildest, easiest-to-mask flavors. Bell peppers and Romaine lettuce are also good. Even boiled sweet potato would work.
Delicious Diet Smoothie Recipe
1. Creamy Spinach Delight
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
2 cups baby spinach
Handful of frozen blackberries
1 tablespoon chia seeds or chia seed gel 1⁄4 cup cooked cannellini beans
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon raw cacao powder or nibs
2 tablespoons natural unsweetened almond butter Pinch of Stevia if needed
Pinch of sea salt 1/3 cup of ice
2. Good Morning Smoothie
1 cup green tea
1/4 medium avocado
1 cup Romaine lettuce
1⁄2 sweet potato, cooked and cooled
1⁄2 – 1 apple
1 tablespoon chia seeds or chia seed gel 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
1 teaspoon coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of stevia
1/3 cup of ice
Feel free to add and subtract ingredients based on what you prefer and have on hand.
Have you lost weight with smoothies? Do you have questions about the above weight loss advice? I’d love to hear from you.