Good Morning Habits to Improve Your Day
What are your mornings like?
Do you cherish your mornings? Are you always rushing to get things done? Do you have any good morning habits that you follow?
Did you know that having good morning habits that you follow can help improve your day?
So what is a habit?
A habit can be defined as a regular practice or routine or pattern done on a daily basis.
One of the features of a habit is that it is automatic, you may not always recognize habits in your behaviour. What you continually do becomes a part of you.
Studies published in 2014 in the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Journal show that about 40 percent of people’s day to day activities are performed each day in almost the same situation. Good habits were found to be beneficial (1)
Here are 5 good morning habits to help improve your day…
1) Drink Water
Drinking water first thing in the morning when you wake up is one of the good morning habits to help improve your day. It can help stimulate your liver to flush out toxins, cleanse your intestines and help keep your digestive system healthy.
Water is vital for your continual existence.
You can survive with no food for months but without consuming water after a few days, you will not survive.
Consuming water before breakfast can reduce the amount of calories consumed during your meal and help with weight control . A study published in 2008 in the Journal of the American Dietetic Association showed that in middle-aged and older individuals, drinking water before breakfast reduced the total number of calories consumed during the meal by 13% (2)
TIP: Aim to drink 2 glasses of warm water immediately you wake up.
Meditation is also one of the good morning habits to help you improve your day.
It will help you purposeful take a break from the thoughts that are continually flowing in and out of your mind, you will feel relaxed, find inner peace and ready to start your day.
Scientific evidence published in 2015 in the David Lynch Foundation Journal showed that meditation had powerful long-lasting reductions in stress and continuous improvements in health (3).
Meditation can also help to keep your blood pressure healthy.
A randomized control trial published in 2009 in the American Journal of Hypertension showed that a meditation program decreased the blood pressure of university students with decreased psychological distress and helped them to cope better (4).
TIP: Find somewhere quiet to meditate for about 5 to 20 minutes every morning to help relax your thoughts.
3) If you are having breakfast… make sure you have a protein rich breakfast
Having a protein rich breakfast is one of the good morning habits to help you improve your day. It will help to keep your blood sugar stable.
Consuming refined foods such as cereals, muffins and bread will spike your blood sugar and increase your insulin level and leave you feeling hungry and you will keep eating more..
A study published in 2013 in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that the consumption of a protein-rich breakfast can make you really full and reduce snacking (5).
Some protein-rich foods to have for breakfast are eggs, fish, nut butters and a protein shake.
4) Get up at the same time every morning
Getting up at the same time every morning is also one of the good morning habits to help improve your day. It will help to stabilize your body clock.
Your body clock controls a large amount of your body’s normal functions including your sleep, behaviour, activities and hormones.
To get up at the same time every morning, it is also important to go to bed at the same time every day.
5) Set your goals and review your tasks for the day
Setting your goals and reviewing your tasks for the day is one of the good morning habits to improve your day. It will help you set your focus and give you direction for the rest of your day.
TIP: Take at least 10-15 minutes to set your goals and review your tasks for the day.
In conclusion, it is important for you to have good morning habits.
Focus on what really makes your mornings better.
Connect with Expert Anne Anyia.
1. Society for Personality and Social Psychology, “How we form habits, change existing ones“. ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 8 August 2014
2. Davy B M, Dennis E A, Dengo A L, Wilson K L, Davy K P (2008) Water consumption reduces energy intake at a breakfast meal in obese older adults. Journal of the American Dietetic Association, 108: 1236-1239. PUBMED.
3. David Lynch Foundation, Research – Scientific evidence that Transcendental Meditation works, 2015.
4) Nidich S I, Rainforth M V, Haaga D A, hagelin J, Salerno J W, Travis F, Tanner M, Gaylord-King C, Grosswail S, Schneider R H (2009) A randomized controlled trial on effects of the Transcendental Meditation program on blood pressure, psychological distress, and coping in young adults. American Journal of Hypertension, 22: 1326-1331. PUBMED
5. Leidy H J, Ortinau L C, Douglas S M, Hoertel H A (2013) Beneficial effects of a higher-protein breakfast on the appetitive, hormonal and neural signals controlling energyintake regulation in overweight/obese, “breakfast-skipping,” late-adolescent girls. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 97: 677-688. PUBMED.