If you are trying to behave a bit during the holidays and want to keep one eye on calories consumption whilst enjoying a few cocktails – here are the calorie and nutrition counts for some standard holiday cocktails and the lighter alternatives.
Hot Mug o’ Rum options…
Hot Buttered Rum – serves 2
– 2 cups water
– 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
– 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
– 1 teaspoon cinnamon
– 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
– 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
– 1/8 teaspoon salt 2/3 cup dark rum
1. Bring water, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt to a boil in a 1 1/2- to 2-quart saucepan over moderately high heat.
2. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 10 minutes.
3. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Serve hot.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 316, Carbohydrate 5 g, Sugars 4g, Protein 0 g
Hot Rum Toddy – serves 1
– 2 tbsp rum
– 1 tbsp honey
– 1 slice of lemon and a squeeze of lemon juice
– 1 cinnamon stick
– Boiling water
1. Add the rum, honey, lemon and cinnamon to a mug.
2. Fill up with water and stir to mix. Stir with cinnamon stick and enjoy.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 170, Fat 2g, Carbohydrates 23g, Sugars 20g, Minty options….
Grasshopper – serves 1
– 1 oz White Crème de Cacao 1 oz Crème de Menthe
– 4 oz Heavy Whipping Cream
1. Pour ingredients into a shaker over ice.
2. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
3. Strain into a martini glass.
4. Garnish with maraschino cherry and serve.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 446, Fat 22.3g, Carbohydrates 27, Sugars 26.9g, Protein 1.2g
Candy Cane Martini – serves 1
– 1 oz vanilla vodka
– 1 oz white crème de cacao
– 3/4 ounce peppermint schnapps
Garnish: peppermint candy
1. Combine liquors in an ice-filled cocktail shaker.
2. Shake vigorously and strain into a cocktail glass.
3. Garnish with peppermint candy and serve.
Nutrition per serving (without the candy): 264 calories, Carbohydrates 18 g, Sugars 11.0 g, Protein 0.1 g
Egg Nog – serves 8
– 4 egg yolks
– 1/3 cup sugar
– 1 pint whole milk 1 cup heavy cream 8 ounces bourbon
– 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg 4 cups milk
– 5 whole cloves
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 12 egg yolks
– 1/2 cups sugar
– 1/2 cups light rum 4 cups light cream
– 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color.
2. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.
3. In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture.
4. Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F.
5. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl and set in the refrigerator to chill.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 343, Fat 19g, Carbohydrates 28 g, Sugars 21.4g, Protein 9.7g
Kir Royale or Champagne Cocktail – serves 1
– 1 oz Crème de Cassis
– 4 oz dry chilled Champagne Cranberries
1. Pour crème de Cassis into a champagne flute.
2. Add the champagne. Drop in a couple of cranberries. Serve.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 171, Carbohydrates 12, Sugars 12, Protein 0
If you don’t partake in seasonal cocktails, here’s the information on the’ standards’. The numbers below reflect averages but of course accurate counts depend on the variety or brand.
Glass of White Wine: 4 ounce glass 4 grams of carbs, calories 90, sugar 1 g
Glass of Beer: 12 oz serving of beer, 150-300, 4-20 grams of carbs, 3 g sugar
Glass of Red Wine: 4 oz Calories 100, 3 g carbs, 0 protein, 3 g sugar
Connect with Expert Sara Sahr.