Skinny chicken marinara
This skinny chicken marinara recipe is low in fat and loaded with flavor! It is a quick and simple meal the whole family will enjoy. Depending on the ingredients in the marinara sauce you choose, you may desire to alter the suggested list of spices to your personal preferences. Check out the quick tips for even faster cook and clean up times!
– 3 chicken breasts (approximately 1.5 lbs.)
– 1 tsp. oregano
– 1 tsp. basil
– 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
– 1 tsp. garlic powder
– ½ tsp. garlic salt
– pepper to taste
– 1 jar marinara sauce (approximately 24 oz.)
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray. (Quick Tip: Lining the dish with foil allows for a super easy clean up!).
– Place each chicken breast in the dish and sprinkle with oregano, basil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, garlic salt, and pepper.
– Pour marinara sauce over chicken.
– Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is completely done. (Quick Tip: For an even faster cook time, try cutting each chicken breast horizontally to make two thinner halves.)
Nutrition facts: Servings: 6, Calories: 185, Fat: 3g, Carbohydrates: 10g, Protein: 25g.
Suggested pairings: quinoa, oven baked zucchini or eggplant.
The recipe as presented above is very low fat. If you are looking to add some cheese, try sprinkling one cup of reduced fat shredded mozzarella over the chicken a few minutes before taking it out of the oven. Nutrition facts will be altered to: Calories: 238 Fat: 7g Carbohydrates: 11g Protein: 30g.
Also check out these Sweet and tasty low fat desserts
Almond-dusted pork chops
Ground almonds, flax, and Italian spices add amazing taste and texture similar to traditional fried pork chops. While low in saturated fat, this recipe is packed with heart healthy omega-3s and antioxidants. For added flavor try cutting the pork into thin slices and dipping them into your favorite low fat sauce. Chicken can be substituted to create a nutrient-packed chicken finger dish your kids will adore!
– 1 pound top loin pork chops
– 1/3 cup whole almonds
– 3 tbsp. ground flax seed
– 1 tsp. garlic powder
– 1 tsp. onion powder
– 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1 egg white
– Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray.
– Place almonds into a food processor and blend on high for one minute, or until almonds are coarsely ground.
– Combine ground almonds with flax seed, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a small dish.
– Place egg white into a separate small dish and beat lightly with a fork.
– Dip each pork chop into the egg white so it is lightly coated. Then dip each side of the pork into the almond mixture until evenly coated.
– Place each pork chop into the baking dish.
– Sprinkle remaining almond mixture over top of pork chops and press it lightly into the pork.
– Cook for 16 minutes, or until pork center is no longer pink.
Nutrition facts: Servings: 4, Calories: 270, Carbohydrates: 5g, Fat: 15g, Protein: 29g
Suggested pairings: oven roasted brussels sprouts, whole wheat couscous, grilled onions.