Pete Evans is a superstar celebrity chef who is renowned the world over for his paleo diet expertise.
WatchFit is delighted to be able to bring you Pete’s amazing recipes and this week you can learn to make his fantastic Zucchini Fennel Fritters.
Zucchini (also know as courgette) is a food with many health properties from being dense in nutrient properties to helping with eye health and relieving asthma. And when combined with fennel and made into fritters you know you have a great meal on your plate!
Here’s everything you need to know about making delicious Paleo Zucchini and Fennel Fritters with Green Goddess Dressing.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Course: Entrée / main / snack
Allergens: egg, nuts
◘ 500 g (1lb. 1½ oz.) zucchini, grated
◘ 250 g sweet potato or carrots, peeled and grated
◘ 50 g fennel bulb, shaved
◘ 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
◘ 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
◘ 4 springs onions, sliced
◘ Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
◘ 3 free-range organic eggs
◘ 50 g (½ cup) almond meal, plus more as needed
◘ 4 tablespoons coconut oil
◘ 250 ml (1 cup) Green Goddess Dressing
◘ 2 handfuls of rocket
◘ Lemon wedges
1) Combine the zucchini and sweet potato in a colander. Sprinkle with a generous pinch of sea salt and mix through. Leave the vegetables to ‘sweat’ for 15 minutes.
2) Squeeze out all the moisture from the zucchini and sweet potato with your hands.
3) You can also wrap the shredded vegetables in a clean tea towel or cheesecloth and squeeze the liquid out.
4) Place the grated zucchini, sweet potato and fennel into a large bowl.
5) Add the parsley, mint, spring onions, lemon zest, eggs, almond meal, and a few grinds of cracked black pepper.
6) Mix well until incorporated. At this stage it’s good to test and cook a fritter to make sure it holds together well.
7) Add a touch more almond meal if needed. Form into small patties approximately 2½ inches (6 cm) in diameter.
8) Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add the coconut oil. When the coconut oil is hot, add the fritters and cook until golden, turning once, for 4 minutes.
Serve with Green Goddess Dressing, rocket and lemon wedges.
1) Place quartered zucchini and roughly chopped sweet potato or carrots into Thermomix bowl with a generous pinch of salt, and chop 5 seconds/speed 5. Transfer to a bowl and set aside to ‘sweat’ for 15 minutes. Rinse and dry bowl.
2) Peel zest from lemon with a potato peeler and place into Thermomix bowl. Blend 20 seconds/speed 10. Scrape down sides of bowl.
3) Add herbs and spring onions (quartered) and chop 4 seconds/speed 6.
4) Squeeze out all moisture from zucchini and sweet potato and add back to Thermomix bowl, with eggs, almond meal, and pepper. Mix 10 seconds/speed 4, or until well mixed then continue with standard recipe.
THE PALEO WAY 10 WEEK ACTIVATION PROGRAM
The Paleo Way 10 Week Activation Program is a vibrant health, weight management and fitness program, tailored to a Paleo lifestyle. It teaches you the synergy between eating good food, moving your body every day and looking at the positive sides to life. The secrets to a healthier and happier life.
Reclaim your health at The Paleo Way and Connect here with WatchFit Expert Pete Evans