This Sunday is Mother’s Day in the UK (and also in Nigeria and Bangladesh) and what better time to learn, prepare and deliver and extra special, super healthy, surprise meal for your dear Mum!
Australian celebrity chef Pete Evans and his Paleo Way team are world leaders in the field of paleo nutrition.
Each week they exclusively offer WatchFit readers a free recipe and instructions.
Stay with us every week to build a whole new paleo repertoire and, if you are just joining us, ensure you check back here on all Pete’s previous recipes – you’ll get yourself an instant cookbook!
Pete: This week I want to present Tuna and Avocado Sushi Rolls.
This is absolutely shot though with wonderful nutritious benefits, is not tricky to prepare, doesn’t take long and tastes gorgeous. What’s not to like?!
Tuna and Avocado Sushi Rolls
– Serves: 4–6
– Yield: 32 pieces or if making hand rolls makes 8
– Preparation time: 20 minutes
– Cooking time:
– Difficulty: Easy
– Course: Entrée/snack
– Cuisine: Japanese
– Allergens: Fish, egg
– 400 g/2 cups cauliflower rice
– 2 tablespoons tahini
– 3 tablespoons cashew or macadamia nut butter
– Sea salt
– 1 X 150 g (5¼ oz.) can of good-quality tuna in olive oil or brine, drained
– 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, plus extra to serve
– 2 pinches chilli powder (optional)
– 4 toasted nori sheets
– 1 large handful of rocket leaves
– 1 cucumber, sliced lengthways into eighths and seeds removed
– ½ carrot, sliced into thin batons
– ½ avocado, sliced into strips
– Toasted white and black sesame seeds, to serve
– Tamari, to serve
– Wasabi, to serve
1. Combine the cauliflower rice, tahini and cashew or macadamia nut butter in a bowl, then season with sea salt and mix together well.
2. In another bowl, mix the tuna, mayonnaise and chilli (if using).
3. Place a nori sheet on a bench or on a bamboo sushi mat.
4. Spread one-quarter of the cauliflower rice mix onto half of the nori sheet, working from the edge closest to you and spreading it out to the sides.
5. Layer the tuna, rocket, cucumber, carrot and avocado across the middle of the cauliflower rice.
6. Starting with the edge closest to you, begin to tightly wrap the roll all the way to the end.
7. Trim the ends with a sharp knife, then cut into 2 cm (3/4 inch) round pieces.
8. Repeat with the remaining nori, cauliflower rice and fillings.
You can also make these into hands rolls:
1. Simply cut the nori sheets in halves, forming 8 x 7-inch (10 x 18 cm) pieces.
2. Place a nori piece in the palm of your hand, shiny side down, and top with some of the rice mixture, followed by the tuna, rocket, cucumber, carrot and avocado.
3. Fold the bottom corner of the nori over the filling, then roll it up to form a cone shape.
Place the sushi pieces on a platter and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Serve with mayonnaise, tamari and wasabi.
The Paleo Way 10 Week Activation Program
The Paleo Way 10 Week Activation Program is a vibrant health, weight management and fitness program, tailored to a Paleo lifestyle.
It teaches you the synergy between eating good food, moving your body every day and looking at the positive sides to life. The secrets to a healthier and happier life.
Reclaim your health at The Paleo Way and connect with Expert Pete Evans