Below are my top 12 belly fat burning foods to help you shred that unwanted body fat. Add them to your regular diet and you will start seeing results super fast, start to feel energised, sleep better and look amazing!
1. Avocados: Full of goodness and loaded with two nutrients that kill belly fat: hunger-crushing fibre (11 to 17 grams per avocado!), and monounsaturated fats, which studies have shown to actually target belly fat!
2. Peanut Butter: Okay, not just peanut butter (or any nut butter), but mostly any seeds and nuts. These are the best: pistachios, walnuts, almonds (or almond butter), pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and flax seeds. Why? They keep you full and satisfied for long periods of time, and they’re stuffed with healthy, belly-burning fats, minerals & fat burning ‘good’ fats. A handful a day is more than enough. Only organic & no added sugar!
3. Super Veggies: Certain vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, kale, and cabbage contain special phytonutrients, such as indole-3-carbinol (I3C), which help to fight against environmental estrogens that can add belly fat. Mam was right…eat your veggies!
4. Omelettes: Eggs aren’t bad, they’re nutrient-dense and loaded with belly-burning protein, vitamins B6, B12, A, D, E, and K, folate, choline, lutein, calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids. Plus, they keep you full for long periods of time. Choose eggs that come from free-range chickens. You’ll get more healthy nutrients. Max 2-3 whole eggs per day.
5. Oats: Packed with fibre and whole-grain goodness. Just be sure to avoid the processed, high-sugar quick cooking microwave junk out there. Add a dash of cinnamon, some walnuts and/or some berries for a natural & raw healthy start to the day.
6. Green Tea: Ok so this is not a belly fat burning food – as such, but it works so well I had to add it. Not only does it contain a potent antioxidant, many scientific studies have linked green tea to increased fat burning, a recent report in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that green tea extract boosted the daytime metabolism of test subjects by 35- 43%.
7. Beans: Black beans, navy beans, refried beans, and lima beans all have 6 or more grams of fibre per ½ cup. Fibre can clean your system of pounds of “toxic waste” and reduce your belly bulge in a big way.
8. Berries: Strawberries, raspberries and blackberries are loaded with fibre (which slows sugar absorption), and they’re packed with vitamins that can fight cravings (cravings can come from vitamin deficiencies). Limit your fruit to 2-3 small handfuls per day and none after 5pm for best results.
9. Chilli Peppers: Studies have shown that the active ingredient in chilli peppers and powder, called capsaicin, increases calorie-burning, stabilizes blood sugar levels (which decreases fat storage), and is a potent antioxidant. Add some of this “spice” to your life.
10. Yogurt: Mostly regular yogurt is bad for your belly. It’s loaded with belly-bulging sugar (real or artificial) that you want to avoid it. However, Greek & natural yogurts are loaded with pro-biotics that fight belly bulge. Use Fage 0% Greek Yogurt and stay away from low fat/reduced fat yogurts these are loaded with sugar! Yeo Valley is a great natural one – the green tub!
11. Wild Salmon: Hands-down one of the best belly-blasting foods due of its protein and high omega-3 fatty acid content. If you are deficient in omega-3s then once you add this to your regular diet just watch the fat drop off!
12. Turkey: Not just turkey meat (white preferred), but any lean protein source is a good belly-blasting food. This includes wild salmon (see above for different reasons), free-range chicken, whey protein powders, and most especially grass-fed beef because it contains natural CLA—a good fat that studies have actually shown to burn bad fat. The interesting thing about protein is your body will burn off as much as 30% of its calories after you eat it – think about that, the food your eating is burning calories as you eat it – wow! So there you have it – 12 super effective belly fat burning foods!
Bonus Section…even more belly fat burning foods!
3 more super tasty belly fat burning foods…
A. Cheesecake: KIDDING! Just seeing if you were paying attention and still with me. Healthy oils like olive oil & coconut oil actually help you burn fat by supplying healthy oils your body needs to burn body blubber. Only use coconut oil to cook with! Other oils are heat pressed and will become unstable once heated turning them toxic. Use olive oil on salads etc
B. Cinnamon: Ok ok so this is a spice and not a ‘food’, but add this to you belly fat burning foods to increase your belly fat burning! Researchers have found that cinnamon contains a type of antioxidant that increases insulin sensitivity and effectively helps to stabilize blood sugar. Bottom line…you’ll store less belly fat. Throw it in your porridge or on a banana omelette – don’t judge, try it!
C. Dark Chocolate: I’m not kidding this time! Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants (nearly eight times the number found in strawberries) and it contains stimulants that can have a positive effect on fat burning, including theobromine and caffeine. It also contains a nice dose of oleic acid, which is a monounsaturated fat. Make sure to choose the 70%+ or higher cocoa levels for best results. Treat yourself to 1 square per day as a treat – take you time and enjoy it. 1 square is not the whole bar!
You now have 15 belly fat burning foods to add easily to your regular diet, good luck and please let me know how you get on!