Supta Virasana or the reclining hero rose pose is a popular yoga asana which actually originates from a Sanskrit word, where ‘Supta’ means ‘reclined’ and ‘asana’ means ‘posture or position’. In this yoga posture, the upper body reclines to the back in such a way that the back rests on the floor. The arms are also put on the floor and the palms face the ceiling.
This is an effective yoga exercise to relax the mind and the body as well. It also relieves the practitioner from a number of muscle aches and is good for the nervous system. This intermediate posture is a popular one and is being practiced since ages.
A lot of people find this posture a difficult one to master. But if done properly, it will be one of the most easiest and effective yoga exercises you have ever performed. However, a beginner will have to adopt some precautions while performing this magnificent yoga posture. This yoga posture is suitable for both beginners as well as regular practitioners. Regular practice of this intermediate yoga pose will be beneficial for your groin, thighs, etc.
How To Do Supta Virasana:
Following is the by far the best process of performing the sputa virasana yoga posture.
One thing you will have to keep in mind always, that is proper breathing. Inhaling and exhaling sufficiently will double the positive effects of this yoga exercise.
See More: Virabhadrasana
1. Firstly, lower your torso slowly to the ground while exhaling. For doing that, use your hands to lean back and then use the elbows and forearms. When your elbows are taking the weight of your torso, you should release the lower back and buttocks by stretching the tailbone. This means by spreading the flesh towards the tailbone. Using a yoga mat is recommended while performing his posture.
2. Now, use your hands to push your front ribs down slowly. Lift your pubis slightly towards the navel. Through this process, your lower back will be stretched and will automatically lean towards the floor. This will also provide you with proper support to perform the supta virasana. Now, slowly lay your hands on the floor and keep then at an angle of 45degrees from the sides. Also, keep the palms up.
3. Now, you will have to drop the thighbones into the hip sockets. You will find this whole posture more effective if you can lift your knees from the floor a little bit and keep them on a blanket or a small stool. For avoiding the strain on the hips and the lower back, keep the knees apart from your hips.
See More: How To Do Firefly Pose
4. Use the hands and try to lift your torso (virasana). You have done it and now you can slowly come out of this posture and get back to your original sitting position.
5. Maintain this posture for not less than 30seconds. Day by day, start increasing the time and once you reach 300seconds or 5miutes, consider yourself a winner that day.
Since there is a lot stretching involved in this yoga exercise, it will efficiently stretch abdomens, ankles, thighs and knees as well.
Secondly, the reclining hero posture will strengthen the arches and eradicate the pain from tired legs.
This particular posture has been proved to be beneficial for menstrual pain and promote better digestion.
See More: Prosperous Pose