In some parts of the world, it is a common practice to have a betel leaf after meals. This aids in the digestive processes and also has some other benefits. Meethapaan during pregnancy is more of a craving that some ladies may face. Some places tradition plays an important role too. So eating the betel leaf may be part of the daily rituals, especially after meals. In some areas, betel nut is also put on the breasts as they feel it helps to increase the breast milk. So eating betel leaf (paan) during pregnancy may seem like an okay thing to do for many mothers.
Is it Safe to Eat Plan During Pregnancy:
Even though betel leaf is a common item in some places, the use of it during pregnancy is debated. So is paan safe during pregnancy cannot have a positive answer. We know now that paan causes oral cancer in many people when consumed on a daily basis. So it is best to avoid this while you are pregnant to keep your baby healthy and safe.
See More: Benefits and Risks of Eating Basil During Pregnancy
Why it is Common to Eat Betel Leaves & Pan in Pregnancy:
Many places in the world have a tradition of eating betel leaf on a regular basis. This leaf is usually consumed after a meal as it increases salivation. This aids in digestion. So even pregnant women tend to continue this tradition and have the betel leaves or pan while they are expecting. It may be okay to have betel leaves once in a while, but consuming them daily is really not a good idea. Since this causes oral cancer, the harmful effects of
Benefits of Betel Leaf During Pregnancy:
Betel leaves have their own benefit and this is the reason why many people consume it. One of the main reasons is stimulating your appetite. So most mothers feel better eating betel leaves as constipation is a major concern for them. As expecting mothers cannot press hard on their bodies to relieve themselves, anything that helps to pass motions is a good enough thing. As betel leaves provide you with a movement of the bowels, this makes it easier for women. There are also many antioxidants that are present which are good for you. Choose the clean leaves and then chew them well.
Side Effects of Betel Leaves During Pregnancy:
There are several side effects of eating betel leaves during pregnancy,
- One of the major problems is oral cancer of course. This can easily affect the baby inside as well. So as cancer is something that you need to be careful about, having betel leaves is really not a good idea for expecting mothers.
- There can also be defects that are related to birth as well as a miscarriage. First-time mothers should especially be careful about this issue.
- You could develop ulcers in the mouth as well as the lower levels of the throat. These ulcers can also lead to cancer which can harm both the mother and the baby.
- As paan also contains some amount of tobacco, this can directly affect the baby and its growth. Tobacco is not good for the mother too as the harmful effects of it can be seen in the lungs.
- Another item that is usually added to paan is slaked lime. This is known to cause palpitations and in some case heart problems. This rise in a heartbeat in the mother will indirectly cause birth problems in the child.
- You may also find that meethapaan has enough sugar content to make you obese when consumed on a regular basis.
See More: Benefits of Broccoli during Pregnancy
Betel leaves have some benefits for the body, but is paan good for pregnancy is a debatable question. As the problems arising from having paan on a daily basis are significant, doctors advise pregnant women against having them. Cancer is one of the main reasons as well as birth defects in the child. Miscarriages are also known to occur due to this. If you want your pregnancy to go through smoothly and the baby to be born healthy without any defects, then it is advisable to stay away from chewing betel leaves.
1. Is Betel Leaf a Cancer-Causing Product?
Ans: Betel leaves can cause oral cancer in many people when it is consumed on a regular basis. As the betel leaves are usually lined with slaked lime and tobacco, it is very harmful to the mother and the baby. If mothers consume betel leaves every day as a means of stimulating appetite then they will suffer from ulcers in the mouth which can be cancerous.
2. Do Betel Leaves Give You Any Benefit?
Ans: There are some benefits of betel leaves. These include antioxidants as well as minerals. Betel leaves are best known for their stimulation of appetite. This is the major reason why people consume it. It helps pregnant ladies with constipation problems. Though, when it is laced with tobacco or slaked lime the benefits of betel leaves are all negated.
See More: Betel Leaf During Pregnancy
3. Should Expecting Mothers Consume Betel Leaves?
Ans: We do not recommend that expecting mothers consume betel leaves. As there are more dangers of getting cancer for the mother, it is advisable to stop having them. The dangers do not stop at the mother but are also passed down to the baby. The child can have some birth defects or the mother may suffer a miscarriage.