There are various ways in which not only Indians but a lot of other cultural people cook dal. There is no doubt about the fact that dal also known as lentils is one of the staple foods that a lot of people use in their daily meals. However, it is almost impossible as well as boring to include the same type of dal and its recipe each day. To break the monotony, it is always advised to use different types of lentils available in the market and to cook them in all the more different ways to get a novel taste each day. To help the users, there is one famous recipe of dal that is mentioned below. It is one of the popular recipes that come in the form of yellow dal.
To know more about the easy and comfortable form of cooking yellow dal, you can check this food guide below. It has one of the simplest cooking methods for the same. All you need to do is follow it with due diligence to get successful outcomes.
See More: Dal Fry Recipe
How to Make Delicious Yellow Dal at Home
- Split Pigeon Pea (toor/arhar): 1 cup
- Onion: 1, finely chopped
- Ghee: 4 tablespoons
- Garlic: 3 cloves, finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric Powder: ¾ teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder: ½ teaspoon
- Dry Mango Powder: 1 teaspoon
Method to Prepare Yellow Dal Recipe:
Take the dal and wash it well under running water before you soak it in clean and fresh water for the next 30 minutes. This should be done way before you want to start cooking so as to ensure a smooth cooking experience without hassles.
Now take half the ghee in a pan and add half of the onions along with the garlic and sauté both until they turn golden brown and gives out a nice flavour and aroma. To this add the turmeric powder and the dals along with salt to taste and about 2 cups of water.
See More: Dal Bati Recipe
Stir it well and bring it to a boil before covering it and leaving it to simmer on low heat for the next 20 minutes. To this add the dry mango powder and simmer for another 15 minutes. Now in a separate pan, take the remaining half of the ghee and add the cumin seeds. Leave it till the seed change the colour and now add the remaining onions and garlic to it. This should be sauté well and till the time the colour changes to pink.
Add on the red chilli powder and stir the mixture for the next 3-4 minutes. This seasoning that has been prepared should now be added to the pan in which the dal is being cooked. Let it simmer for the next couple of minutes. Remove it from heat and pour the dal in a serving bowl.
Garnish this hot dal with lemon juice and corianders leaves and serve alongside cooked rice or rotis.
Tips to Remember:
- The dals should not be boiled beforehand as done in various dal recipes. It is supposed to be cooked in the pan while simmering.
- Make sure the dal is cooked properly before you plan to add on the seasoning.
- The taste of the dal can be changed according to what you really like. You can add drier mango powder and red chilli powder to make it spicier.
- Yellow dal is served as an accompaniment with any other dish to ensure that the taste is enhanced. It is more of a curry that is used with chapattis or rice for best results.
See More: Chana Dal Recipe
Image Source: 1.