Hair loss has become a serious cause of concern among both men and women. It can be triggered by various factors like unhealthy lifestyle, malnourished diet, medicinal effects or even genetical factors. Much like these factors, DHT is also a major cause of hair loss in both men and women. Check out this article to know about DHT hair loss treatment and causes.
Overproduction of DHT in the scalp disrupts the flow of nutrients to the hair follicles, which makes them weak and they ultimately shrink. As DHT is a male hormone, the effect is seen more on men than women. The main cause of male hair loss or ‘Androgenic Alopecia’ is mainly due this imbalance of this androgen hormone, DHT. This condition is called DHT hair fall and only special DHT hair loss treatment can improve the condition.
See More: Premature Hair Loss Treatment
What Is DHT?
DHT or Dihydrotestosterone is a male hormone and a sex steroid. DHT is mainly synthesized from testosterone by an enzyme called 5-alpha reductase in the testes, prostrates, adrenal glands and hair follicles. This synthesization starts as soon as a person reaches puberty and it is DHT that is responsible for the development of secondary sexual characteristics. Besides DHT also plays an influential role in different metabolic activities like formation of blood cells, carbohydrate metabolism, liver function and bone formation.
What Causes DHT Hair Loss?
While DHT is responsible for development of facial hair during puberty, ironically it is also the cause of hair loss or baldness in some men. The following are some of the DHT hair loss causes:
- DHT causes of hair loss by restricting the ability of the hair follicles to grow.
- The dermal papilla, a crucial part of hair follicle, is mainly responsible for hair growth.
- This dermal papilla has the largest ratio of androgen receptors in them.
- Therefore due to overproduction of DHT in the scalp it directly reaches the hair follicles through dermal papilla.
- When this DHT reaches the follicles, it restricts the flow of vitamins, minerals and proteins that is essential for the overall health of the hair follicles.
- Without proper nourishment the hair follicles start shrinking in a process known as ‘Miniaturization’.
- In this process, the hair starts growing for short periods and becomes smaller, lighter and finer till it reaches the vellus stage.
- The vellus hair is very fine, light-colored and hardly noticeable. It has been proven that 95% cases of male pattern baldness are caused due to this effect of DHT on the hair follicles.
- Higher the production of DHT, greater is the miniaturization, resulting in more hair loss.
See More: Hair Loss Patches On Scalp
DHT Hair Loss Treatment:
It has been known that the level of DHT plays an influential role in hair loss. By reducing the level of DHT you can effectively reduce hair fall. However, the production of DHT in the body depends entirely on the genetic constitution. Check out these factors to know how to stop DHT hair loss:
- The best way to reduce the level of DHT is through the use of DHT inhibitors like 5-alpha reductase.
- These drugs reduce the level of DHT in the scalp that in turn prevents hair loss.
- Clinically to reduce DHT level in the scalp, a 5-alphs reductase inhibitor drug called Finasteride is prescribed to the patients.
- However before taking this drug, it is important to consult a hair loss specialist as several factors like medical history, personal lifestyle and preference needs to be taken into account.
- These 5-alpha reductase inhibitor drugs have several side effects like erectile dysfunction, lower sex drive and a high risk of male breast cancer.
- Taking these drugs can also put you at higher risk of brain fog, memory loss and depression.
- Some of these side effects may persist even if the treatment is finished.
- In addition to the above medication, the level of DHT in the body can also be regulated by consuming high-protein food and taking protein supplements.
- Incorporating protein rich foods in your diet you can drastically reduce DHT-induced hair loss.
If you notice too many hair stuck in your brush or receding hair line, you could be experiencing a DHT hair fall. Although most common in men, DHT hair fall is also observed in women, as even a little amount of DHT can lead to severe hair loss. Using DHT controlling drugs come with minimal side effects and work effectively to prevent the damage. Along with reducing DHT, certain treatments help in gently scarring the scalp tissue to supply it with vital nutrients. This can help regenerate new hair. So, if you are one among those with flashy, bald heads, time to act on DHT and help your follicles get a new leash of life.
See More: How To Prevent Frontal Hair Loss
Image Source: 2, 3, 4.