25 Instant Home Remedies for Stomach Ache/Abdominal Pain!
What can be worse than a painful stomach, which gives you a feeling of something pounding you from inside? Stomach ache is caused in the abdominal area due to many factors like indigestion, gas, bloating and several other factors. It is one of the easily diagnose problem, unless accompanied by any serious medical issues. Abdominal pain is experienced by people of all ages, from infants to adults. Simple pains can be tackled at home with these 25 effective home remedies for stomach ache, while the frequent attacks may need proper medical intervention. Let’s get to know the various causes, symptoms and prevention methods for stomach ache to understand about this problem in detail.
What Is Stomach Ache and What are the Causes?
Stomach pain is a condition where the abdominal region experiences severe pain and cramps. There are many causes as to why this happens and most stomach pains are not serious. The common cause for Abdominal pain is due to trapped gas inside the stomach, which can be treated with a pain killer. Stomach pain is also caused by bacterial or viral infections, which can infect the area. These pains usually occur along with loose stools, vomiting and gas.
Listed below are some of the common and less common reasons for stomach ache:
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
- Food Poisoning.
- Allergies in Food.
- Stones In Gall Bladder’
- Kidney Stones.
- Esophageal Diseases.
What Are The Symptoms Of Stomach Pain?
The Following are the common symptoms of identifying a pain in the abdomen:
- Passing Of Gas.
- Severe pain and Sporadic cramps.
- Excessive Belching.
In extreme cases, you could also notice the following symptoms:
- Bloody Stools.
- Hard or no stools.
- Lack of Urination.
- Pain while passing Urine.
- Black Colored Stools.
Prevention OF Stomach Ache:
You can prevent simple stomach aches caused by external factors like food, by following these tips. However, the more complex problems that happen internally may occur despite sticking to a proper lifestyle, but with reduced chances of risks.
- Avoid roadside, unclean food.
- Stay away from food that can cause allergies.
- Reduce the intake of fatty, heavy foods that clog your stomach.
- Don’t overindulge in food. Eat small portions to help your stomach digest it well.
- Eat fiber-based food.
- Include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Say no to alcohol, sugar drinks and artificial foods.
- Stop taking self-medication for stomach aches, as it can make matters worse.
When Is It The Right Time To See The Doctor?
Most stomach aches usually get treated with over-the-counter painkillers and anti-spasmodic tablets. Even home remedies can also help in getting good relief from stomach cramps.
However, sudden and severe abdominal pain could mean serious conditions like
- Appendicitis: In which the appendix is swollen and infected
- Perforated stomach ulcers: Where there is an open sore part in the stomach lining.
- Kidney stones: Which block the tubes of Kidney and cause immense pain
- Cholecystitis: This is cause by gall bladder stones.
- Acute Diarrhea: If none of the home remedies and medications work for vomitings and loose stools, it could mean an infection and needs a doctor’s advice before taking antibiotics.
You cannot afford to wait for home remedies to work and must immediately visit the doctor and get your treatment started.
Best Natural Home Remedies For Stomach Pain:
Home remedies are undoubtedly one of the safest, easiest and most effective ways to treat the aches in the stomach and elsewhere. However, if you are looking for the top notch ways to keep the health problem at bay, then look into these treatment procedures below.
These natural home remedies for stomach pain will surely help you get desired outcomes:
1. Ginger Tea:
Ginger tea is one of the most effective remedies to treat a painful stomach. It is a rich source of anti-inflammatory agents which can reduce pain and discomfort in your stomach. Ginger tea can also reduce bloating and help you release gas. While it is a common practice to take ginger in powder or dry form, ginger tea is the best way to enjoy the benefits of this wonderful herb.
How To Make:
- Add a few ginger pieces to boiling water.
- Let the juice seep in for 2-3 minutes.
- Strain and serve with little honey.
- This drink must be take twice daily until symptoms subside.
- Ginger tea when had in excess can cause acidity and heart burn.
See More: Home Treatments For Appendicitis Pain
2. Apple Cider Vinegar:
If you are having severe abdominal pain, Apple Cider vinegar can work wonders. ACV is a best stomach pain remedy, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. This tonic, which is made by fermenting apples, can work as an elixir for numerous problems, particularly for digestive disorders. One of the known causes for indigestion is reduction in stomach acids. ACV consumption can up the acid content and help in faster digestion.
How To Make:
- Add 1 tbsp of ACV in a cup of warm water.
- Drink twice daily.
- You can add little honey to enhance the taste.
- ACV when had in excess can cause acidity and sometimes ulcers too. Be careful with the quantity!
3. Chamomile Tea:
One of the best herbal stomach ache remedies is Chamomile tea. This tea contains anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic agents, which can reduce the spasms in your stomach to offer relief from pain. The carminative properties of Chamomile can soothe an upset tummy. The tea is also wonderful for treating bloating, gas, Irritable Bowel syndrome and even stomach cramps. Chamomile tea can also help you calm down and relax your muscles!
How To Make:
- Take a Chamomile tea bag and dip it in hot water.
- Let the tea seep in for a few minutes.
- Take the bag out and serve it hot.
- This tea can be taken twice a day for best benefits.
- While there are no known side effects of Chamomile, people with allergies to Daisy flowers may develop rashes and itching.
Fennel is one of the best and effective home remedies for severe stomach pain in adults and children. Consuming fennel regularly either in the form of seeds, powder or even tea can help in maintaining the health of your stomach. Fennel can reduce stomach flatulence and improve your metabolism. Infact, Fennel is also given to infants and babies to get rid of griping pain caused by colic problems. Fennel can relax your stomach muscles and help in bringing the spasms down. This is an age old Indian home remedy for stomach pain treatment.
How To Make:
- Take a 1tbsp of Fennel in a cup of boiling water
- Leave for 2-3 minutes
- Strain and serve the tea
- Take this tea after food twice daily. You can even chew a few seeds to extract the juice.
- Fennel seeds can cause photo sensitivity. So, stay away from sun if you have any such issues!
Additional Remedies For Stomach Pain Relief:
- Lemon Tea: Looking for a quick remedy for stomach ache? Prepare some lemon tea for yourself and consume it while adding some honey to it. It will surely reduce the cramps and gradually the pain of stomach as well. It is one of the best home remedies to take and works against for stomach pain.
- Have Lots of Water: Water helps in releasing the toxins from the body as well as solves the issues of gas and bloating which are common reasons for stomach aches. Drinking 7-8 glasses of water will start giving you relieve from the aches in an efficient manner. This is the best home remedy for stomach ache.
- Hot Pack: For quick abdominal cramps remedy, apply a hot water bag or pack on the affected region where you experience aches and cramps. This should be done for a session of 15-20 minutes using a towel in between. Repeat this remedy every 2-3 hours if the pain persists. It is sure to give instant relief from the problem and then gradually treats it too.
- Baking Soda: Take a teaspoon of baking soda in a cup of warm water and have it. This is one of the immediate remedies for the stomach ache. It is bound to give you desired outcomes. Make sure you use only good quality baking soda for the purpose. Have this drink only once in a day.
- Aloe Vera Juice: One of the best home remedies to stop stomach cramps is Aloe vera! The soothing properties of fresh Aloe Vera juice not only helps in relieving stomach aches but also in getting a treatment for indigestion, cramps, gas, bloating, heartburn and more. Take some Aloe Vera juice and see how well the crisis gets treated.
- Rice Water: To prepare some rice water at home, you will need to boil a cup of washed rice in 2 cups of water until the rice gets soft. Now the rice should be separated from the liquid by straining and this water should be used for treatment of stomach aches. Make sure you drink this liquid when lukewarm. This will give you good outcomes on the aches and the discomfort.
- Mint And Ginger: This one goes for the people who are suffering from chronic stomach ache because mint juice is one of the most wonderful home remedies for abdominal pain. Apart from just mint, you will also need ginger and lime and also a little black salt. It is very easy to consume this because what you have to do is just mix a teaspoon each of mint juice, ginger juice and lime juice with a little black salt.
- Pepper Mint: Other than mint, peppermint is also a very good home remedy for stomach pain and is one of the home remedies for stomach ache and cramps. This is even easier to consume peppermint and we certainly do not mean chewing gums. To get relief from stomach you can either consume pepper mint tea or you can just chew the leaves for the best results.
- Carom Seeds: Better known as the very common ‘ajwain’ it is one of the oldest natural remedies for stomach ache. You may have also seen your mothers and grandmothers chewing caraway seeds after meals. To use these in the best possible way you have to roast the seeds and then add some black salt to these before consuming. This is a quick remedy for stomach cramps.
- Yogurt: Indigestion is a very important cause of regular stomach pains and the bacteria present in yoghurt act like shields in prevention of the stomach from the infection causing germs. This is also very useful in case of diarrhea. You can consume yogurt after meals especially in the afternoon and after breakfast every day. This is one of the most effective, bad stomach ache remedies!
- Cinnamon: This wonderful flavoring ingredient is one of the natural home remedies for tummy cramps. To act as one of the home remedies for stomach pain cinnamon is to be used in the form of tea. Here you will not have to boil cinnamon sticks in water but soak one or two in boiling hot water and then have it after a few minutes when the goodness is infused.
- Aniseed’s: These are also very commonly available ingredients in all kitchens and are very good abdominal pain remedies. To get instant relief from stomach pain and also fluffed up tummies and gas problems, you should take some aniseed’s and then keep chewing them till you can after meals.
- Heeng: Also known as asafetida, this ingredient is a common house remedy for stomach pain. It has a lot of aroma and is used mostly in North Indian cuisine along with many other Indian recipes. This is thus easily available in the kitchens and is also one of the oldest home remedies for stomach pain. You will have to heat a little hing and then mix it with warm milk and consume it.
- Rosemary Oil: This is a very essential part of aromatherapy and is also one of the essential oils used in the practice of aromatherapy. This is also one of the good remedies for stomach ache, with the use of aromatherapy techniques. For this you will have to pour a few drops of rosemary oil in your warm bathing water and simply bath with it.
- Burnt Bread: Yes! that sounds weird but is extremely effective. This one is especially effective in cases of general food poisonings or alcohol effects. What you need to do is take a bread or two and toast them till burnt. They must have a little charcoal on them too. This is a quick home remedy for stomach pain and works like magic!
- Cola Syrup: Stomach aches and pains are often the results of gas springs and over eating which further results in a lot of indigestion. You will be happy to know that your favorite cola syrup which is otherwise full of harmful calories helps to take out excess gas from the stomach and relief you thus from the stomach pain which would otherwise take a more painful form. This is one of the best home remedies for severe stomach cramps.
- Plenty Of Rest: The best medicine as prescribed by doctors for any ailment or disease is of course ample amount of rest. This a best and simple remedy for stomach ache. When you are suffering from stomach infections which are further causing stomach aches, you need to take a lot of rest and maintain restrictions on your food chart till you are perfectly alright.
- Pomegranate Seeds: This beautiful fruit is useful as upper stomach pain home remedy as well. It is very easy as well as a tasty remedy because what you will have to do is just take some black salt as well as black pepper and sprinkle these on pomegranate seeds and then eat them without taking the juice out. This is said to provide instant relief from stomach pains.
- Fenugreek Seeds: The advantages and usefulness of fenugreek seeds seem to be innumerable and it is bliss to find this ingredient in yet another list. This is a great remedy for stomach ache and is an easily available solution too. What you will have to do is just take some fenugreek seeds, crush them and mix the powder with a small bowl of yogurt to make stomach cramps remedy at home.
- Celery Leaves: If you are looking for good home remedies for stomach cramps, try Celery! The usefulness of celery leaves in this case is magical. Just take 2-3 celery leaves and make a nice and smooth paste of these. Now add a little amount of rock salt to this paste and then consume it.
- Bael or Wood Apple: This fruit is a very good as well as a natural remedy for bad stomach ache. It is also an instant remedy for stomach pain. The first way is to take the pulp of bael and then stir it nicely in buttermilk and then consume it. Otherwise you can also consume direct bael juice for relief.
Instant Pain Relief Remedies To Cure An Upset Stomach:
Following these tips can help in getting relief from Stomach instantly:
- Drink plenty Of Water. This can flush out all the toxins and waste material which leads to ingestion and pain in the stomach.
- Try to sit upright, as sleeping can aggravate the pain further.
- Take a cup of warm ginger tea, which can reduce nausea, pain and diarrhea. This is the best immediate remedy for pain relief.
- You can also take some mint tea to reduce bloating and get relief from pain.
- Use a warm compression bag to get rid of stomach cramps. Using it for 20 minutes can help in relaxing the stomach muscles.
- Take starchy diet like potatoes, Rice, bread toast to make your stools firmer. This can control diarrhea and also ease stomach pain.
- Drink some cumin tea to get the gas out of stomach. This is an instant remedy to release pain from the stomach.
- You can also try taking Cinnamon tea twice daily to get relief from stomach pain.
- Taking laxatives can help in smooth passing of stools. You can eat some figs which work as natural laxatives.
- Aloevera juice can control the acid formation in stomach and reduce inflammation.
Stomach ache is a very common as well as a regular problem and can be caused due to a number of things. While on one hand you should definitely maintain a very good and proper lifestyle, on the other hand you should try these natural remedies for stomach ache.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Why do I experience stomach ache after a heavy meal?
When you load with stomach with excess food, it causes severe pressure on the stomach to digest it. This leads to pain and cramps, which are a result of over performance of the abdominal muscles. This is why doctor’s advice taking small meals, frequently. A large jumbo meal can also cause breathlessness and inactivity in people.
2. Are Menstrual cramps the same as stomach pain?
Menstrual cramps usually occur in your lower abdomen and start atleast a week before the period time. These are a result of the uterus contractions to shed the blood lining out. Stomach pain, on the other hand is caused by factors mentioned above and usually occur in the center or sides of your abdomen.
3. They say fasting is the best remedy for stomach aches. Is it true?
When you fast, you are giving your body some time to recover and rejuvenate. Fasting is an age-old practice in India, which along with religious significance also has many therapeutic benefits. By fasting or having just liquid diet, you can flush out the toxins in the body and enable the growth of new cells. This way, you can ensure a healthy abdominal region.