How to do Dal Bati Recipe
As one of the main dishes in the Rajasthani cuisine of India, there is no menu that is complete without including dal baati in it in Rajasthan. It is no doubt one of the recipes that people love to indulge in. it is not only very healthy with the use of various dals in it but also quite a calorie rich food with the use of ghee. However, there are things that one should pamper their taste buds with from time to time and dal bati is surely one of them.
So are you someone who wants to learn the recipe of this exclusive dish? If yes, then check out the recipe guide below. It gives you one of the easiest and effective recipes to successfully make dal baati at home for your loved ones.
How To Do Dal Bati Recipe:
See More: How To Prepare Dal Tadka
- Skinless Split Green Gram ¼ cup
- Skinless Split Black Gram 1 cup
- Split Bengal Gram (chana dal) ¼ cup
- Chopped Ginger 1-2 inches
- Tomatoes 2
- Chopped Green Chillies 3
- Chopped Coriander Leaves ¼ cup
- Red Chili Powder 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder ¼ teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds 1 teaspoon
- Hing A pinch
- Whole Red Chilies Dried 2-3 piece
- Cardamoms 2-3
- Cloves 4-5
- Cinnamon 1 inch
- Bay Leaves 2-3
- Curry Leaves 5-6
- Salt to taste
- Lemon 1
- Oil 4 tablespoons
- Whole Wheat Flour 2 cups
- Carom Seeds 1 teaspoon
- Baking Powder ¼ teaspoon
- Pure Desi Ghee 1 cup
See More: Dal Makhni Recipe
Method of Preparation:
For the Dal:
1. Soak all the dals mentioned in the ingredients together for about 1-2 hours. Take about 3 cups of water to do so. These should be boiled in a pressure cooker with some turmeric and salt. When properly cooked mash them well and keep aside.
2. Take some oil in a pan and add hing, cumin seeds, bay leaves, dry broken chilies, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, green chilies, curry leaves, red chili powder as well as tomatoes. This should be cooked well for the next 15-20 minutes or till the oil separates from the mixture.
3. Now add the cooked dals to this and mix it well while adding a little lemon juice and with some fresh chopped coriander leaves.
See More: How To Prepare Arhar Dal
For the Baati:
1. Take whole wheat flour (atta) as mentioned in the ingredient list in a bowl. To this add some salt to taste, about half a cup of the desi ghee and the baking powder. This should be mixed well before making it into dough. Make sure the dough is stiff. Preheat the oven at 180 degree Celsius.
2. Now take this dough and form it into small rounds. It can be the size of a lemon for perfection. Make sure you roll it firmly.
3. Now grease well a baking tray and place the rounds on them with distance among each one of them. Place this in the ready oven that has been preheated and make it till the baatis cook properly. It will take about 15-30 minutes for proper cooking.
4. When done, make sure you serve the baatis hot with the dal. The dish is ready to be enjoyed!
The baatis can also be fried in desi ghee instead of baking it in the oven. The only benefit of baking over frying is the high amounts of calories that frying brings along. However, in the authentic Rajasthani cooking, the baatis are usually deep fried to cook and then served with both dal as well as churma.
Also, ensure that the dish is completely hot before you serve it or there will be a change in the taste that you won’t really enjoy.