A festival that celebrates the bond shared between a brother and sister which that signifies the care and protection between them is the festival of Raksha Bandhan. Celebrated on the full moon of the fifth month in the Hindu Year (Shravan), a very auspicious month when the woman also applies mehndi designs for Raksha Bandhan, the festival is widely celebrated across India. The sister ties a red and gold thread, that’s known as Rakhi around the brother’s wrist, entwining him in a bond where he promises to protect her in any and every situation. The relationship can be shared between any duo, but majorly it’s the brother-sister duo.
Throughout the year’s people have started adding in their own bit to this festival by including Rakhi special goods. Though this isn’t just limited to goods, mehndi designs for Raksha Bandhan have also become a much-loved addition to the festival. Some professionals have started designing special mehndi designs and patterns for the festival. Let’s check out some of the most special mehndi designs for the Rakhi festival.
1. Best Mehndi Design For Raksha Bandhan:
This particular mehndi design is one of the most appropriate representations of the celebration of Raksha Bandhan. While the four sides of the palm have some regular henna design, in the center we can see a depiction of the festival. On the one hand, we can see the sister sitting with a plate full of things similar to a ‘PoojakiThali’ and tying a thread on her brother’s wrist, on the other palm we can see the brother outstretching his hand and a gift box by his side.
- Suitable Body Part: Suitable for the Palms.
- Perfect Outfit and ornaments: Any traditional Indian outfit paired with traditional Indian ornaments will look great together with this design.
2. Intricate Raksha Bandhan Mehndi Design:
If you are someone who likes adding a more creative touch to their henna designs, then this design is perfect for you. The design also looks like two Rakhi’s kept side by side. This design is beautiful yet does not take a lot of time for application as it just requires some small intricate detailing.
- Suitable Body Part: More suitable for the front as well as the back of palms, can also be applied on the shoulders as a tattoo design.
- Perfect Outfit and ornaments: This design will look good with both western and traditional outfits.
3. Simple Flower Mehndi Design for Raksha Bandhan:
If you are planning to do some DIY work, then this mehndi design can be your very first project. Made out of flower, paisley and simple curved lines, this design is easy and simple to apply for any first time too. The design also looks like a giant Rakhi that is sprawled across the palm.
- Suitable Body Part: This design is suitable for both the front and back of the palm and can also be applied on the back or arm like a tattoo.
- Perfect Outfit and ornaments: This design will look good with any kind of traditional or Indo-western outfit and jewellery.
4. Latest Curve Mehndi Design For Rakhi:
A design that looks different from everyone else’s if that is what you have been looking for, then this design can be a good choice for you. A combination of different styles of henna designs, it is a quick and unique design that may not take a lot of time to apply as it does not have a lot of intricate detailing.
- Suitable Body Part: Suitable for the front and back of the palms.
- Perfect Outfit and ornaments: This design will look good with all kinds of an outfit as it is not a very traditional mehndi design.
See More: Special Rakhi Gift Ideas
5. Mandala Mehndi Design for Raksha Bandhan:
The simplest and easy to apply mehndi design is right in front of you. A simple mandala-like circle design, it can be customized to your liking with just some dots and paisleys on the fingertips. Although a very small and simple design, it easily fills your hand with the circle in the center.
- Suitable Body Part: Suitable for the front and back of the palm, as well as feet and arms.
- Perfect Outfit and ornaments: This mehndi design can be paired with any kind of traditional or western outfit.
[ See More: Best Round Mehndi Designs ]
6. Gulf-Arabic Style Mehndi Design:
If you love big dots, flowers, paisleys in your mehndi design but also want it to look different from the generic flower-paisley mehndi design, then this design can be a pretty good idea for you. A more Mughlai inspired design, it is a perfect combination of Arabic, Indian and Mughlai mehndi designs.
- Suitable Body Part: This design is suitable for the front and back of the palm as well as the feet.
- Perfect Outfit and ornaments: This design will look great when paired with traditional or Indo-western outfits and ornaments.
7. Bracelet Style Mehndi Design:
This mehndi design is what looks like an Indo-Arabic design. The design does not entirely cover your hands, but there isn’t a lot that it has missed either. People who are looking for a design that isn’t too simple but not too difficult either can pick this one for any occasion and not just Raksha Bandhan.
- Suitable Body Part: Suitable for the front and back of the palm.
- Perfect Outfit and ornaments: This mehndi design will look great when paired with traditional outfits.
[ See More: Bracelet style mehndi designs ]
8. Creative Flower Mehndi For Rakhi:
This design looks like a Rakhi of henna has been applied to the palms, you can simply tell your brother that you too promise to protect him, you got the Rakhi too! This design is also known as the bracelet design as you can just apply it in a circular way across your arms and hands.
- Suitable Body Part: Suitable for the front and back of the palm along with the arms and shoulders as a tattoo.
- Perfect Outfit and ornaments: This design because its structure can be paired with any kind of outfit.
9. Simple Backside Mehndi Design:
If you want to upgrade your design from the circular mandala-like design slightly, then the design is a good option for you. More than a henna design, this design looks like a hand accessory, which makes it look even more attractive even with its simplicity.
- Suitable Body Part: This design is more ideal for the back of the palm.
- Perfect Outfit and ornaments: Since it looks like a really cool hand accessory, you can pair it with any kind of outfit and minimal ornaments.
10. Full Hand Raksha Bandhan Mehndi:
You are someone who likes to go all out when it comes to something then this mehndi design is all you wanted. A more intricate and filling henna design, this design consists of many famous patterns such as checks, mandala, paisley, etc. Though filling and intricate, it isn’t too difficult to apply because of its repetitive patterns.
- Suitable Body Part: Suitable for both the front as well as the back of the palm.
- Perfect Outfit and ornaments: This outfit is very suitable for traditional Indian outfits such as sarees and salwar suits.
Mehndi is considered pure and pious, so applying mehndi on the eve of Raksha Bandhan just makes the moment purer. Apart from embarking the event, the mehndi also makes your hands look very pretty and elegant. Mehndi on Raksha Bandhan is one accessory that you can adorn for the next few days to come without any hassle.
Tips for your Raksha Bandhan Mehndi
- Apply mehndi a day or two before the festival so on the day of the festival your mehndi will have matured into a beautiful dark stain.
- If you aren’t too sure about the application of mehndi designs, take help of a professional who will cater to your needs and charge you a price accordingly.
- The more warmth your palm gets, the darker will be the stain so you can take the fumes of clove after applying mehndi as the heat along with clove help in retaining a darker stain of your mehndi.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can I Apply Mehndi Design on My Own?
Yes, you can apply mehndi designs on your own with some practice and the help of designs as well as YouTube tutorials that teach easy application for one and all.
2. Where can I Find Henna for Application?
Henna for application on hands can be found in the form of henna cones that can be easily found at Indian cosmetic or convenient stores while also at small stalls set up by random henna cone sellers.