Argan oil, often called ‘liquid gold,’ is an organic product that is extracted from the kernels of the argan fruit. This argan fruit is found on the argan tree, which grows almost exclusively in Southwest Morocco. Hence this oil is also termed as Moroccon Argan Oil. Argan oil is primarily found in two forms: the edible argan oil that is extracted from the roasted argan kernels, and the other is the cosmetic argan oil that is extracted from the unroasted seeds. The cosmetic argan oil is intended to apply directly on the skin or hair to avail benefits. Traditionally, the people of Morocco apply argan oil topically to treat psoriasis, eczema, and even hair loss. Argan oil is enriched with monounsaturated fatty acids, vitamin E, and antioxidants that help in dealing with various skin problems and gives radiance to the face.
Many people wonder if argan oil is good and safe to apply for the face. The simple answer is ‘YES,’ it is safe to apply topically on the face. Argan oil is a natural oil that is extracted from the kernels of the argan fruit and is free from chemicals. This oil falls in the middle of the spectrum, making it one of the safest products to use for the face. This serum is neither too heavy nor too light for the face making it a perfect choice.
Argan oil is a widely used product all over the world because of the essential nutrients present in it.
Properties Of Argan Oil:
1. Argan oil has essential nutrients, such as fatty acids and phenolic compounds. The majority of the fat content of this oil comes from oleic and linoleic acid.
- Oleic acid – 42%
- Linoleic acid – 36.8% (Omega 6 fatty acid)
- Palmitic acid – 12%
- Stearic acid – 6%
- Linolenic acid – <0.5%
2. Argan oil is enriched with Vitamin E, or tocopherol, a fat-soluble vitamin that is required for healthy skin.
3. Argan oil is considered to be anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory. The phenolic compounds in the argan oil are responsible for the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
4. Studies showed that argan oil has some compounds such as CoQ10, melatonin, and plant sterols, which have anti-oxidant properties, inturn helps for healthy skin.
Benefits of Argan Oil For Skin:
Argan oil, though available in the country of Morocco, this oil is now used across the globe for a variety of cosmetic, culinary, and medicinal applications. Listed down are some of the benefits of argan oil for skin and face.
1. Sun Protection:
- Sun has some harmful UV rays that damage the face and the epithelial cells.
- The anti-oxidant property in argan oil helps in protecting the skin against the free radical damage caused by the harmful UV rays from the Sun.
- This also prevents hyperpigmentation and burns on the surface.
- Most of the Moroccan men and women have used argan oil for protection against sun damage.
- Apply argan oil serum on the face before going out in the sun for protection against the UV rays. (1)
2. Skin Moisturiser:
- The loss of moisture from the face makes it dry and brittle, further causes skin rashes and burns.
- Vitamin E and fatty acid content in the argan oil makes the skin moisturized and stay hydrated all the time. This oil absorbs easily and is non-irritating, and non-greasy making it a natural moisturizer.
- This oil is easy to use all over the body. Just take a few drops of this oil in hand and smooth it into your skin using gentle rubbing. Use this oil on the face by smoothing it in circular motions.
- Argan oil can be applied topically or ingested orally with daily supplements.
3. Treats Acne:
- The face naturally secretes sebum from the sebaceous glands. When this sebum is secreted excessively, the dirt gets trapped on the face, which invites bacteria causing pimples and acne.
- Argan oil has anti-sebum effects that regulate the secretion of sebum, and the antioxidant property of this oil helps to heal damaged skin cells and reduce inflammation.
- Apply a few drops of this oil or cream containing argan oil on the affected area at least two times a day to witness the desired result.
- Looking younger these days has become an essential quality in everyone’s life. Most of the people use different creams to look younger.
- Argan oil has proved to be one of the best products for anti-aging. The anti-oxidants in this oil helps in removing the dead cells present on the face, which contributed to the generation of new cells on the face. Using this oil on the skin increases the elasticity of the skin, making you look younger than before.
- First, clean your face with a face wash and pat dry. Now, apply this oil on the face and gently massage it in circular motions. Leave it overnight. You can witness the change in your face within two weeks if applied regularly.
5. Improves Wound Healing:
- Argan oil is considered to accelerate the wound healing process on the skin.
- The combination of vitamin E and the antioxidants found in the argan oil are usually beneficial for healing the wounds and treating the damaged, cracked, or even burned skin.
- Apply a few drops of argan oil on the sore or damaged skin to accelerate the healing process.
6. Heals Skin infections and Certain Skin Conditions:
- Traditionally, argan oil is used by the Moroccans to treat certain skin infections. This is because argan oil has both anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- Studies found that argan oil can treat a skin condition called Atopic dermatitis, a condition with itchy, red skin. The Vitamin E and the anti-inflammatory properties of the argan oil help in soothing this condition.
- Apply a few drops of argan oil regularly on the affected area to treat skin infections.
7. Remedy for Stretch Marks:
- Argan oil is considered to be one of the best products to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy or even to anyone who has stretch marks.
- Vitamin E in argan oil helps in increasing the elasticity of the skin, thereby preventing the likelihood of developing the stretch marks.
- Apply this oil directly on the area where there are stretch marks twice a day, and see the desired results. (2)
8. Oily Skin:
- Oily skin is one of the main issues being faced by most of the people. They use various creams, remedies but have gone in vain.
- Using argan oil for face can help in reducing the oiliness on the skin. Argan oil regulates the sebum production so your skin is hydrated and will not overproduce the sebum.
- Argan oil serum or cream can be applied directly on the skin twice a day to experience good results.
9. Dry Skin Conditions:
- Eczema is a dry skin condition that can leave skin itchy, raw, and flaky. Using argan oil for such skin conditions is beneficial.
- The fatty acids and Vitamin E present in the argan oil repair the damaged skin and provides essential nutrients that will further prevent dryness and irritation.
- Applying argan oil on the afflicted skin and massaging gently can provide some relief and heals the dryness and irritation.
10. Cracked Feet:
- Argan oil, because of its softening property, is ideal for treating cracked heels.
- The light argan oil easily penetrates the skin, and the antioxidants present in the oil repairs the damaged tissues. This oil also moisturizes and softens skin, leaving the feet supple and soft.
- Try massaging a few drops of this oil into the feet before going to bed.
[ Also Read: Argan Oil for Hair Growth ]
How to Choose The Best Argan Oil?
In recent times, the usage of argan oil for beauty purposes has increased enormously across the globe. This argan oil comes in two forms, pure argan oil, and the argan-infused skin products. If you intend to choose the pure argan oil, keep in mind that the life of this pure oil is only three to four months. The argan trees are mainly found in Morocco, and the whole process of extraction of this oil is a laborious task, and hence this oil doesn’t come cheap. Meanwhile, this argan tree is considered to prevent soil erosion and protects water resources in Morocco. This tree is under threat from overuse. Hence to make it easily available at affordable pricing, adulterated products are being sold. Make sure to buy this product from a reliable source with fair trade practices.
Side Effects of Argan Oil:
Usage of argan oil is generally considered safe in most people. But, some individuals, however, may experience some side effects in the form of allergy known as contact dermatitis when applied topically. This is characterized by the development of itchiness, rash, and redness on the place of application. Argan oil may cause a digestive disturbance, including nausea, diarrhea, or gas, when ingested orally. The tocopherols, a form of Vitamin E present in the argan oil, may slow the blood clotting and interact with the anticoagulants like warfarin.
Argan oil, whether used topically or ingested orally, is safe to use for most of the people. The nutrients and vitamins present in this oil give you amazing benefits to the skin. The best thing about this oil is that it can be used in its pure form and is perfectly safe. Actually, using this oil in its purest form can give you the maximum benefits to the skin and face. If you have sensitive skin, it is better to test for any allergies beforehand. Lastly, if you are in search of a natural beauty product, give argan oil a try and experience the results.