15 Cute and Easy French Braid Hairstyles You Need to Try
A French braid is not a brand new hairstyle, but still, it has been widely accepted and followed by many girls in recent years. From celebrities to the girl next door, you can see this elegant hairstyle appearing in wedding ceremonies, parties and red carpets. French braid hairstyle is loved for its simple creation and excellent style for all women. A French braid hairstyle is also known as Tresse Africaine, which is a type of braided hairstyle, where the hair is split to three strands and braided together from the crown of the head to the tip. There are different types of braided hairstyles. Some of these include
Double French Braids: This is a trending hairstyle, perfect for casual occasions.
French Braid Pigtails: It’s a cute braided style where start by creating a middle part and then continue with French braid each side back till to the nape of your neck.
Fishtail French Braid: This is a stunning braid style that combines two braid styles into one. Split a section of your hair to two sides. Then continue to take a piece from the outer edge and cross it over to join the other. Repeat this for the other side and add French braid element by loosening the hair.
Step By Step French Braid Hairstyles with Images:
Here are the 15 best and cute French braid hairstyles step by step in vogue along with their pictures which can stand you away from the crowd.
1. Simple and Double French Braid:
The basic French braid is a tried and tested hairstyle for generations. It keeps long hair sorted and tangle free. For starters it’s not complicated. This is one of the simplest french braids with long hair. The double French braid can be the next stage. It is also very simple french braid hairstyle with medium length hair. It adds to the style and beauty. Keeps the hair neatly packed away from the face. These are perfect daily wear hairstyles.
- Preferred Hair Type: Wavy, straight hair and silky straight hair with no tangles.
- Suitable Face Type: This style is perfect for the oval, and square face shapes.
- Proper Occasions: It’s best for a casual, party or small events.
- Ideal Age Groups: Women of every age group, especially teen and girls.
- Best Seasons to Try: It’s suitable for Summer and spring.
- Matching Dress: Casual wear or summer wear, and party wear.
2. Full Down French Braid Style:
Another fantastic hairstyle that looks elegant from the back and the full down French braid style. This style works well for women with thick straight hair. If you are looking for a hairstyle to get ready for a birthday party, then try this hairstyle. You are for sure going to be the centre of attraction with this style. Full down French braid hairstyle is meant for girls with long thick straight hair. Once the braiding is done, you can slightly loosen the braid so that it even looks thicker than normal.
- Preferred Hair Types: Long thick straight hair or wavy hair.
- Suitable Face Types: Diamond face shape or heart-shaped face.
- Perfect Occasions: It’s perfect for any small events or even a special occasion.
- Ideal Age Group: All age groups, especially young women.
- Best Seasons to Try: Spring, autumn and monsoon, also looks good in summer.
- Matching Dresses: Any party wears or occasional wear.
See More: How To Make Easy Braided Hairstyles
3. Waterfall French Braid:
This is the easiest variant of the french braid hairstyle and hence extremely popular. It is a running braid that progresses horizontally and not vertically like other braids. The interlocking sections by the length of the hair give the impression of a waterfall. It can be done on fine as well as thick hair. A suitable option if you want to flaunt the length of your hair.
- Suitable Hair Types: It’s adaptable for wavy silk hair.
- Preferred Face Types: Suitable for all face shapes.
- Perfect Occasion: Bridesmaid or any special occasion.
- Ideal Age Groups: It’s preferable for teens and girls.
- Best Seasons to Try: This style is suitable for all seasons.
- Matching Dresses: It goes with summer wear or party wear.
4. Spiral French Braid Buns:
Spiral French braids start at the crown from one end and diagonally progress to the other end of the head, all the way to the end. On the opposite side of the diagonal, right at the nape the remaining length of the braid can be coiled up and secured with pins as a bun. These types of french braid hairstyles for girls with pigtails are classic Grecian Goddess inspired styles that never go out of fashion.
- Suitable Hair Type: This hairstyle is best for thick straight hair with no tangles.
- Perfect Face Type: Round or square-shaped face.
- Proper Occasions: This style is perfect for a party or any special occasion.
- Ideal Age Groups: It’s perfect for women of all age groups.
- Best Seasons to Try: This style is suitable for all seasons.
- Matching Dresses: It goes with party wear or any occasion wear.
5. French Braid Blonde Hairstyle:
It’s a bit similar to the full down French braid style, except the fact that the hair is a partition to two and one sides is braid fully downwards. The other side is braided and tied as a bun in the right. If you want to different looks for casual gatherings and hangouts to try this hairstyle. This style is a bit time consuming, but the results after braiding are fantastic.
- Preferred Hair Types: This hairstyle suitable for Thick and straight hair.
- Suitable Face Types: Small face with a sharp chin.
- Perfect Occasions: It’s ideal for a birthday party.
- Ideal Age Groups: This style is perfect for kids or teens.
- Best Seasons to Try: It is suitable for all seasons.
- Matching Dresses: It’s pair with kids long frogs and any traditional wear.
6. Inverted French Braid:
This is a bottom-up approach to braiding. The french braid is flexible depending on the look you want. So it can end up as a bun or even a high ponytail. Overnight braiding is an effective shortcut to achieve naturally wavy hair the next morning without using any styling product. This is one of the most popular hairstyles with french braid for medium length hair.
- Perfect Hair Types: This style is best for wavy or straight hair, and also looks good in curly hair.
- Suitable Face Types: It’s perfect for oval and diamond-shaped face
- Proper Occasions: Best for special occasions, award shows, night parties.
- Ideal Age Groups: This style is suitable for young women.
- Best Seasons to Try: preferably spring and monsoon.
- Matching Dresses: It goes with any long dresses.
7. Heart Shape French Braid:
Simple small braids starting at the crown on both sides end up creating a sweetheart shape at the back of your head. Alternately, it can be spiralled from both ends of the crown to form a bun at the nape of the neck. Either way, it’s perfect for a night out with your sweetheart — no doubt this will.
- Suitable Hair Types: This style is perfect for only silky smooth hair.
- Preferred Face Types: It’s suitable for any face shape.
- Perfect Occasions: This hairstyle is best for casual events, hangouts.
- Ideal Age Groups: It’s best for only teens.
- Best Seasons to Try: It’s suitable for all seasons.
- Matching Dresses: It goes with any casual wear.
See More: Haircuts For Girls
8. French Braid Ponytail:
Another simple yet elegant variation of the French braid hairstyle is the French braid ponytail. This hairstyle is perfect for working women who can easily dress up and style their hair in the morning. Begin with braid the top of your head. Then tie the rest of your hair as a ponytail. To give a unique look, you can loosen the thickness of the braid and height of your ponytail. A thin braid and a high pony will appear alluring and contemporary.
- Preferred Hair Types: Thick medium-length straight hair.
- Suitable Face Types: This hairstyle is preferable for a round face shape.
- Perfect Occasions: Work, corporate meetings, seminars.
- Ideal Age Group: Only working women.
- Best seasons to Try: It’s suitable for all seasons.
- Matching Dresses: it goes with formal wear and also suits casual wear.
9. Lace Braided Ponytail:
These are made around the ponytail and resemble a Lacey ribbon wrapped along its length. These braids enhance the normal ponytail by being its accessories. You can also apply this french braid your hair which can make more beautiful, but it is somewhat difficult than previously discussed.
- Preferred Hair Types: It’s perfect for straight, thick hair or wavy hair.
- Suitable Face Types: This style is adaptable for the small face with a sharp chin.
- Suitable Occasions: This hairstyle is preferable for small events like school/college annual day.
- Ideal Age Groups: This style is acceptable only teens.
- Best Seasons to Try: It’s suitable for all seasons, especially spring or autumn.
- Suitable dress: It goes with any casual wear and long dresses.
10. The Pink Colored French Braided Hairstyle:
Here is one of the latest side French braid hairstyles that girls will find interesting. It looks quite special because of the colour. There is one more thing that makes it so alluring. The braids are one of the most beautiful features of this hairstyle, and it is the primary alluring feature about this look. This hairstyle is something that will work great for you. The colour can be said to be one of the finest ways to impress all the people looking at you. It will found suitable by girls who are not even into French braid looks.
- Suitable Hair Types: It’s perfect for straight silky hair with no tangles.
- Perfect Face Types: This style is best for the oval face shape.
- Proper Occasions: This hairstyle is suitable for music shows, award shows or any special occasions.
- Ideal Age Groups: It’s Preferable for women of every age group, especially teens.
- Best Seasons to Try: This hairstyle is suitable for summer or fall.
- Matching Dresses: It goes with casual wear or party wear.
See More: Hairstyle Waterfall Braid
11. The Thin French Braided Hairstyle:
You won’t probably want to see the braid done on the hair. It is done surrounding the crown portion of the hair. The pattern that this hairstyle sport is something that will be totally suitable for all girls with toned faces. Do you have a chubby face, then sporting this look won’t necessarily be a great idea. If you have blonde hair, they will make you look even better as French braids always work perfectly with blonde hair. If you are looking for a French braid hairstyle for yourself, then you should definitely consider sporting int on your hair.
- Suitable Hair Types: This style is best for only wavy hair.
- Perfect Face Types: It’s suitable for square face shape.
- Preferred Occasions: Adaptable for any casual occasion.
- Ideal Age Groups: This hairstyle is best for teens and young girls.
- Best Seasons to Try: It is suitable for all seasons.
- Fitting Dresses: It goes with party wear or any casual wear.
12. The Back Twisted French Braid Hairstyle:
It’s probably one of the simplest ways to style the hair which you can do on yourself. The back of the hair sports the French braid pattern, and it is something that will be totally suitable for sporting the beauty of your hair effectively. If you are looking for one of the latest and new French braid hairstyles for yourself, then this can be said to be the right stuff for you this season. You can sport it without your eyes closed. It comes with the ability to make anyone look alluring.
- Preferred Hair Types: It’s suitable for thin straight hair with no tangles.
- Suitable Face Types: This style is ideal for all face shapes, especially small and sharp face.
- Perfect Occasions: This hairstyle is suitable for any occasion.
- Ideal Age Groups: This style is best for only teens.
- Best Seasons to Try: This hairstyle is suitable for all seasons.
- Matching Dresses: It goes with casual wear for teens.
13. French Braid Knot:
It’s another elegant and straightforward version of a knot in French braid hairstyle. It is perfect for those who want to dress up and go ahead for parties or simple casual outings with their friends. You have to start with knotting from the beginning of the head and then continue to make it a knot at the end. As you wish, you can either keep it loose or tight. It gives a smart and contemporary look for Indian women.
- Preferred Hair Types: Medium to long straight or wavy hair.
- Suitable Face Types: It’s ideal for the oval-shaped face.
- Perfect Occasions: Parties or casual outings.
- Ideal Age Group: Best for young women.
- Best Seasons to Try: It’s suitable for all the seasons.
- Matching Dresses: Formal wear or western wear.
See More: How To Do Hairstyles With Braids And Bangs
14. The Cute French Braided Hairstyle:
If you are looking for a French braided hairstyle, then this is something that will make you look alluring from the core of the hair. The braids are done on the crown portion of the head, and that is what attracts people in the first place. Everyone who even takes a quick glance at this hairstyle will find this look suitable for them. The pattern done on the bun is also one of the best things about this hair. If you need a good hairstyle this season, then this French braids hairstyle can be said to be one of them.
- Perfect Hair Types: This styles preferable for thick straight or wavy hair.
- Suitable Face Types: This hairstyle is best for a round face.
- Preferred Occasions: It’s perfect for a bridesmaid, Christian wedding, birthday party.
- Ideal Age Groups: This hairstyle is preferable for young women.
- Best Seasons to Try: Winter season is the best for this style.
- Matching Dresses: It goes with winter wear or any party wear.
15. Other Different Hairstyles:
These are some of the elegant hairstyles one can find in braiding through French braid. They look stylish and contemporary. One can begin with a French braid and either choose to leave it or knot it around the head. One can also do hair braid and leave the hair behind and give a trendy look. These are great for informal and party times.
- Preferred Hair Types: Medium to long straight hair.
- Suitable Face Types: It’s perfect for the oval or round face shape.
- Suitable Occasions: Parties or casual outings, can even be for events.
- Ideal age Groups: Young women to middle-aged women.
- Best Seasons to Try: It’s suitable for all the seasons.
- Matching Dresses: Casual wear or western wear.
How to French Braid – Steps to Perform:
- Wash your hair properly and use a good shampoo and make sure the hair is combed neatly without leaving any tangles.
- Take some hair from the crown portion and separate it into three equal sections – as left, middle and right.
- Take the left section at first and cross it over the middle one and combine it with the right part.
- Now take the right section, cross it over the middle section and combine it with the left one.
- Repeat the process 2, then 3 and again and again till you have made a few rows of a traditional braid.
- Now continue with this pattern, but start adding other pieces of hair. Before crossing a section to the centre, grab some hair from the left and include it in the cross over.
- Every time you cross the hair, carry a small amount of hair.
- As you keep braiding grabbing and crossing the sections, you will reach the end of your strands.
- Now secure the braid tightly with a ponytail holder or rubber band.
Style Tips on How to Maintain French Braid Hairstyle:
- Before you choose to French braid, make sure you have clearly washed your hair with a good shampoo.
- A good French braid lies in tangle-free hair. Brush your hair to get all the tangles out and make it look soft and smooth.
- Once you have done with braiding, you can gently apply a hair spray so that the braid stays as it is, without loosening or leaving the hair out from the braid.
- If you have thin hair, you can make your hair look voluminous by blow drying. This way, the French braid will look thicker than normal.
- How much new hair you grab to the crossing doesn’t matter, but the less hair you catch, the more complicated the braid will look.
It’s an open secret that we all love French braid hairstyles. Whether it’s a romantic dinner date or to appear as a Bridesmaid, we have this simple yet elegant hairstyle that goes well for the occasion. The above mentioned French braid hairstyles are just a few. There are plenty of French braided variations that you can try at home. Many online tutorials will help you out create a cute French braided style. At first, braiding might sound difficult, but once you practice it regularly, you can master French braided styles and create a style of your own.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers:
Q1. Is it good to tie French braid every day?
Ans: French braid daily by pulling the strands tight into a ponytail can cause the strands to break. So even if you braid regularly, try not to tighten the braids. A hair braided too tightly can cause hair damage and breakage.
Q2. Can French braids help in faster hair growth?
Ans: Braiding your hair strengthens the hair by immobilising the strands from within the roots. If you don’t have much of hair loss problem, French braids are good for protecting your hair. But make sure that the hair is not braided too tightly as it can cause split ends and hair damage as well.
Q3. Should I braid my hair at night before sleep?
Ans: Not necessary. It is not mandatory to braid your hair before going to bed. Our elderly moms and grannies used to say that braiding your hair tightly before going to bed will help in faster hair growth. But scientifically, there are no shreds of evidence to withstand this truth. Although braiding your hair can act as a protective measure against hair damage, make sure you don’t practice this daily, that too tightly.