How to Get Rid of Hormonal Acne – Causes & Treatments!
Hormonal acne is acne that comes up during big hormonal changes in your body. This is mainly related to menstruation and even menopause. Since menstruation happens every month, it makes the hormonal acne erupt every month too. This becomes quite difficult for women to handle. Men can also have hormonal acne when other factors like stress, etc. take over. Home remedies for hormonal acne is a very good idea as this helps you to slowly and easily take care of the problem. There are several ways in which you can treat hormonal acne and not let it affect your life.
Hormonal Acne Causes:
As said earlier, hormonal acne is normally caused due to hormones that are on a higher level. This happens at certain periods in lifelike menstruation, high androgen levels, menopause, etc. At this point, the body is going through a lot of changes and the acne can be a way out.
- Menstruation happens in women when the body removes the impure blood from the reproduction organs. This change happens every month, and this is when the body goes through a lot. Acne can be seen on the face or even the upper arms and back and can be very painful.
- Menopause is the time when the reproduction system of a woman is shutting down. This is a time when many different things happen in the body like hot flushes, acne, pain in the body, mood swings, etc.
- Androgen levels may go up in males, and this also creates acne on the skin. This is a troublesome time as the pain is often quite a lot.
Hormonal Acne Symptoms:
The most common symptoms of hormonal acne are seen on the face. The acne forms like a small boil with pus formation after a few days. The area gets inflamed, and the pain is unbearable. It is possible to get more than one acne boil on the face. In most severe cases, the whole cheek and forehead area are covered in acne.
- The person is an adult and not in the teen years to have puberty related acne. When you reach menopausal age, the acne is also hormonal acne.
- Acne forms near the chin and also the jaw. This is quite painful and troublesome.
- The hormonal acne resurfaces every month, based on the reason like menstruation, etc.
- Stress is playing a major part in the growth of acne. You will notice the acne develops more when stress levels are high.
- The cysts are very painful and not as simple as a blackhead. They do not go easily till they erupt.
How to Get Rid of Hormonal Acne:
1. Green Tea for Hormonal Acne:
How does it help: Green tea a wonderful natural tea that is not sent through the various drying stages. This retains the antioxidants in the tea, which are very beneficial to the body. Green tea can be consumed internally for a cleaner digestive system. This helps you internally and then externally too as the skin feels the wonderful effects of this. You also find green tea present in lotions and gels. These are good hormonal pimples treatment and ways to get rid of hormonal acne.
- Needed Ingredients: Green tea, water.
- How to Prepare: Make green tea by boiling a cup of water and then adding 1 tsp of green tea leaves in it. Let it seep for some time.
- How to Apply: Drink this on a daily basis to get the best of the green tea advantages.
- How Often You do This: Have this daily for at least 6 months.
- Precautions: N/A
2. Tea Tree Oil to Treat Hormonal Acne:
How does it help: The tea tree oil is a great oil that helps you to take control of the hormonal acne cure. It reduces the inflammation, and this helps you get rid of hormonal acne. When the inflammation is taken care of the acne gets smaller in size and the pain is manageable. This, in turn, gives you mild acne that does not emotionally drain you. The scars that are part of the acne also reduces.
- Needed Ingredients: 12 drops of coconut oil, two drops of tea tree oil.
- Preparation: Mix the two oils together as the coconut oil is the carrier oil.
- How to Apply: You can use a cotton bud to dip in the oil mixture and then put it on the affected areas.
- How Often You do This: Repeat this every day.
- Precautions: Do a patch test to see if you are allergic to tea tree oil.
3. Turmeric Paste for Hormonal Acne:
How does it help: Turmeric is an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory ingredient that is used for skin problems and hormonal acne remedies. The curcumin in turmeric is what the active ingredient is, and this gives the benefit. It can kill the bacteria and also soothe the pain and the inflammation. It is always beneficial to have pure turmeric like the root and grind it yourself. This is a natural remedy for hormonal acne. It is easy to grind the turmeric root and extract the paste.
- Needed Ingredients: Turmeric root, Emery stone.
- How to Prepare: Wet the stone and the turmeric root and rub the root in a circular motion to make a paste. Rub enough of the turmeric root to get a teaspoon size of paste.
- How to Apply: Take a small amount of this paste and apply it on the affected areas. Let it dry and wash off with water.
- How Often You do This: Apply this daily.
- Precautions: N/A
See More: Natural Tips to Balance Your Hormones
4. Cinnamon and Honey to Remove Hormonal Acne:
How does it help: Raw honey is one of the best wonders of the natural world. It has antimicrobial properties and other medicinal uses. This sweet blessing from the bees has been used since ages in home remedies for various skin problems. Cinnamon is another great ingredient that has antimicrobial uses. Both of these ingredients can be the best treatment for hormonal acne. Having raw honey is a good way how to control hormonal acne naturally.
- Needed Ingredients: 3 tbsp raw honey, 1 tbsp cinnamon powder.
- How to Prepare: Mix honey and cinnamon powder together. You can gently heat this mixture too.
- How to Apply: Apply this mixture on your face and let it sit for 30 minutes. Wash with warm water.
- How Often You do This: Repeat this every week for better results.
- Precautions: Check that the honey is pure honey and not adulterated.
5. Lemons and Oranges to Reduce Hormonal Acne:
How does it help: Lemons and oranges have an acidic content in them, which helps to change the pH balance in the skin. When the skin is inflamed, it is very alkaline. So the acid in the lemons and oranges give the chance to bring the pH balance level. This helps to make the skin clearer and also reduces the inflammation. The acid in lemon and orange also helps to lighten the skin tone especially due to the scars that are left. Try this to know how to cure hormonal acne.
- Needed ingredients: Lemon juice or orange juice.
- How to Prepare: Make the juice of half a lemon or orange.
- How to Apply: Using a cotton bud, dip it in the lemon juice or orange juice. Apply this juice to the affected. areas. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Wash off with water and then apply moisturiser.
- How Often You Do This: You can do this twice a week.
- Precautions: Dilute the lemon juice in water if your skin is sensitive.
Tips & Treatment to Cure Hormonal Acne:
Birth Control Pills:
- Female hormonal acne is caused when menstruation leads to higher hormonal levels in the body. Oral contraceptives are given to women to check birth control. These pills also have a way to deal with hormonal acne. When ovulation occurs, the hormones are at its peak, and this is when the pills take effect. A hormonal acne woman should consider using these pills.
- Benzoyl Peroxide is a good product that helps to kill bacteria. It is this bacteria that causes acne and inflammation. Benzoyl peroxide helps to kill the source and thus reduces the inflammation and the scars. You can get this in the form of lotions or creams that can be easily applied to the skin. Hormonal acne female can use this cream on a regular basis.
Wash Your Face with Hot Water:
- Water is good for your body both internally as well as externally. You need to consume at least eight glasses of water a day to clear your body of toxins. When the internal body is clean, it helps to get clearer skin and less amount of oily secretions. Externally water can clean the skin and remove dirt and grime. Hot water can remove more oil as well. This is also a good male hormonal acne treatment.
- Stress plays a major part in your life and the way your body reacts. It is one of the main hormonal acne symptoms that cause a painful outburst. So reducing stress in your life is one way to reduce the hormonal acne. With all the work and life problems that we go through it is difficult to reduce stress. But yoga, meditation, exercise, and hobbies can help you in combating stress.
Avoid Fast Foods:
- Fast foods are another major concern for modern generation men and women. The fast foods generally contain excess oil and fats that go into our system. This leads to excess oil build-up, which eventually comes out on the skin surface. This is the other hormonal acne causes that can be dealt with by eating healthy and fat-free foods.
Additional Tips for Hormonal Acne:
Here we give you some more additional tips to deal with hormonal acne. We know now what causes hormonal acne, so let’s see what else you can do to deal with the problem.
- You can consider taking some kind of supplements and vitamins for this. Some of the best vitamins for hormonal acne and the best supplements for hormonal acne are usually prescribed by the doctor.
- Herbs are another way to deal with the problem. You can check with Ayurveda practitioners who can tell you what herbs are good to keep the hormones in check.
Choosing the best medicine for hormonal acne is something that you will have to try and see
Frequently Asked Questions And Answers:
Can Hormonal Acne Be Subsided?
Yes, you can subside the occurrence of hormonal acne. There are best products for hormonal acne that help to reduce the onset of the acne. They also help to reduce the pain of the inflammation. You can see a doctor to decide which medicines work best for you and your situation. Apart from medicines, you can always do home remedies, which should be an ongoing process. Home remedies do take time to show results. you must keep using them for a longer period of time. Each of these things will help you to reduce acne problems.
Will External Products Alone Help to Combat The Hormonal Acne?
To some extent, external products will help you to keep the hormonal acne in check. But it is always advisable to check the source of the hormonal acne and then try to target this particular problem. Once you know what the reason for the acne then you can deal with it easily. Having a healthy diet, drinking plenty of water and reducing stress are many ways in which you can help yourself. Once this is taken care of, then the external products like lotions and creams will make a more significant effect.
Does Hormonal Acne Affect Males?
Yes, hormonal acne affects both males and females. Even though we see more women with this problem, males too have to face this. They have androgen levels that go higher at times. This usually creates an environment for hormonal acne. The androgen levels can be taken care of with medication. Males find the acne to be more troublesome due to facial hair like beard and moust ache. This clogs the pores, and pus formation is severe. Scars are usually permanent in men as they tend to pick on the acne too. This leaves the skin looking rugged.
Hormonal acne and its problems affect males and females. This is due to the increase or fluctuation in the hormonal levels. The excess oil that is secreted gets clogged in the skin pores, and then dirt and grime accumulate to create acne and pus. This painful occurrence can be helped with home remedies, medication, etc. The best products for hormonal acne are used to heal the acne and the residual scars. Hormonal acne makes life quite difficult, but it can be managed to a great extent.