What is Breast Engorgement and How Can you Treat it at Home?
It is pretty normal and natural for your body to make the breast bigger during the second and fifth day of giving birth. Breasts become heavy, sore and also start to produce huge quantities of milk. The extra quantity is sometimes because of the extra blood and lymph fluids in the breast tissue. However, this feeling of fullness will vanish within the three weeks of delivery thus giving you a breast engorgement pain relief. Your breast now will feel soft and you will feel comfortable even when the supply is plenty.
Engorgement also makes it difficult when having to feed babies. Babies will be unable to grip over the hard areola. This can lead to pain on your nipples and also lower the supply of milk. However, never think twice to visit your doctor if your pain becomes unbearable and you start to have fever.
Causes of Breast Engorgement?
Not feeding the baby could be one reason. Typically you have to empty out the breasts and get off with the milk within the few days of the birth of your child. So, it really does not matter how less produce. If you don’t get it emptied, you are more likely prone to breast engorgement. However, even those who have emptied the breast sac suffer from engorgement. Sometimes your milk ducts can be hindered. Ducts typically get hindered when you wear tight bra.
Symptoms of Breast Engorgement
Here are some signs and symptoms of breast engorgement that you need to watch out for.
- You will have hard breasts. This means, they become more firm that gives you the feeling that even with the slightest touch, you may eject milk.
- Swollen breasts are another thing to watch out for. While it may be common for your breasts to become big after your delivery, sometimes the breasts become too big and thus unmanageable. If they don’t come back to their normal position after feeding, sniff engorgement.
- When milk builds up, the nipples will get flattened and the areola becomes hard too. This might make it difficult for the baby to feed on the mother’s milk.
Home Remedies for Breast Engorgement
Engorged breast remedies are listed below. Breast engorgement treatment can now be done at your home with the easily available ingredients that you may have at home. Take a look at some of them.
1. Change Your Bra:
Make sure you do not wear tight bra. Wear nursing bras that will give you comfort and relief from your engorged breasts. Wearing the right bra is not only necessary to treat engorgement but also to ensure your breasts stay firm and remain in the ideal shape. Look for the right kind of bra.
2. Cabbage Leaves:
Did you know cabbage leaves can cure your engorged breasts? The leaves can be used to treat swelling or inflammation and the cool leaf will also offer you relief from pain. Simple refrigerate the leaves and place them on the breasts for about twenty minutes. Once that begins to warm up, wear a comfortable bra. Remember to do this daily, twice a day for best results.
3. Cold Packs:
You can apply cold packs on your breasts to relieve the pain. Simply wrap a few cubes of ice in a soft towel. With gentle pressure, press the areas of the breasts well. Do this repeatedly every day, twice and you actually start experiencing a huge relief.
you can try moist heat or simply take a warm shower with making sure you direct much of the warm water on the affected area. This will pressure the milk to flow and thus offer you a huge relief.
the other way to solve breast engorgement is to mildly try a breast massage. Breast massage will ensure stimulation of lactation and also offer comfort from the swollen and firm feeling. Apply gentle pressure and follow up a certain pattern for an effective breast massage. Take it easy on you and do not apply more pressure than that is needed.
See More: How to Remove Hair from Breast Nipples
Some of the Other Ways to Treat Breast Engorgement is to:
- Try using a breast pump. Milk out the excess milk of the breasts. This will provide a huge relief by actually taking down the burden from you.
- Try to feed you baby 8 to 10 times in a day. This not only is healthy for the baby but will also put you in a place of comfort.
- Regular breast feeding is also a must. This way, your baby develops attachment towards its source of nourishment and at the same time provides comfort to the mother in pain.
Breast engorgement can be a serious worry at times. Always consult your doctor if you are in deep pain. Prefer to go by his/her choice of medicine, especially because you are a nursing mother. Importantly, think ahead and look forward to the days of bringing them up. This is just a phase and you will pass this successfully.
Originally posted 2020-08-06 15:45:09.