The aroma of coffee every morning has the power to refresh our mind and gets us ready for the day. While coffee with milk is one kind of beverage and black coffee is a healthy beverage, has gained great momentum across coffee lovers in the world. Apart from being rich in caffeine, black coffee has numerous health benefits to offer. But how do you consume black coffee and in what quantity? Well! Right from the types of black coffee to how to consume this healthy beverage, here is everything you would love to know. We have also added 15 proven black coffee benefits for you to note.
Black Coffee vs Milk Coffee:
If you thought coffee would taste good only with milk, then you don’t know the awesome taste of black coffee. Milk, of course, is rich in calcium, proteins, minerals and vitamins which add to the nutrition. But, black coffee, the plain coffee boiled in water without adding milk has a strong flavour, is slightly bitter to taste but is highly nutritious. It has all the antioxidants that benefit the body in many ways. It helps manage various health conditions like cancer, liver disorders, memory issues etc.
Coffee has high amounts of flavonoids, more flavonoids than even wine. This makes coffee a powerhouse of tastes, a wonderful combination of nutty, fruity, sweet and floral flavours. Adding milk to your coffee may reduce the positive effects of antioxidants on the body. So, prefer black coffee over milk coffee and see the difference for yourself!
Types of Black Coffee:
Coffee is originally from Arabia but black coffee has become popular around the world. The cultural influences and diversity in regions have shown different ways of serving this drink. Let us look at some popular types of black coffee, each with a unique flavour and taste.
- Long Black.
- Batch Brew.
- Drip Coffee.
- Instant Coffee.
- Pour Over Coffee.
- Vacuum Coffee.
- AeroPress Coffee.
- Immersion Coffee.
Nutrition Value Of Black Coffee:
Coffee is a beverage to keep you alert and product through the day, thanks to the caffeine in it. But, not many of us know the nutritious value black coffee offers. Scroll down to know.
- Black coffee may not have significant amounts of proteins, carbohydrates or fats but it is rich in micronutrients that have notable health benefits.
- Coffee is rich in antioxidants, essential vitamins and minerals like potassium, magnesium, manganese, riboflavin, niacin and sodium that benefit our body.
- Black coffee is very low on calories too, 100 ml of medium black coffee is only found to have 1-2 kcal of energy, so weight watchers can happily consume it a few times a day.
As coffee beans are grown in various parts of the world, the nutrient composition may vary slightly depending on the origin and processing of coffee beans. The blend composition also affects the vitamin and mineral content.
Is Black Coffee Good For Health?
- Coffee beans or the black coffee brewed, have the highest amount of anti-oxidants of all the foods on the planet. These anti-oxidants have disease-fighting properties that help manage and control various diseases like diabetes, heart disease, cancer, asthma, neurodegenerative disorders, gastrointestinal diseases etc.
- Black coffee helps in reducing inflammation in the body, preventing cell damage.
- Black coffee is also rich in polyphenols and micronutrients that enhance general body health.
- Caffeine in black coffee not only improves our mood and performance but it also lowers the risk of diseases like Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
How To Make Black Coffee at Home?
Making black coffee is really simple but you must know to make it the right way to get an amazingly unique taste and flavour. The internet is flooded with numerous black coffee recipes. We have researched and compiled the best ways to make black coffee for you. Here are the steps to follow.
- One cup of water.
- Two teaspoons freshly roasted and ground coffee powder.
- One tablespoon chilled water.
- Add coffee powder in a mug and whisk it with one tablespoon chilled water till the coffee granules are blended well.
- Boil one cup of water.
- Add the boiled water to the whisked coffee.
- Mix well and serve.
How To Drink Black Coffee?
If the bitter taste of coffee drives you away from this beverage, here are quick tips for you to note so as to enjoy the rich flavour of coffee and reap the advantages of black coffee.
- Always choose freshly roasted coffee beans because the coffee beans lose their flavour with time.
- Grind the coffee beans just before brewing to retain the flavour.
- To experience the real taste of coffee, you must eliminate sugar, cream and milk gradually.
- There are various coffee roasts to try, with different flavours and aromas. You have ample choice to suit your palate and body. Lighter roasts are less acidic and less bitter and easy on your tummy.
- If you can’t take the bitterness of black coffee, try the cold brew black coffee which is less bitter and pampers your taste buds too.
- Though the instant coffee mix like Nescafe, Bru etc., are easy to use, you must try some exotic high-quality coffee to experience the real taste of black coffee!
Evidence-Based Black Coffee Benefits:
Here we enlisted 15 science proven health benefits of black coffee. Let’s have a look into them.
1. The Powerhouse of Antioxidants:
Coffee is rich in polyphenols and micronutrients like potassium, magnesium, manganese, vitamin B5, vitamin B3 and vitamin B2. These micronutrients are loaded with antioxidants that benefit our body in various ways by eliminating free radicals from our body(1). These free radicals are one of the top causes of cell and tissue damage, hence drinking coffee prevents or slows down the cell damage in our body.
2. Improves Performance During Workout:
Coffee helps increase adrenaline levels in our blood. Adrenaline, which is also called epinephrine, is the hormone that prepares the body for fight or flight situations or intense workouts.
Caffeine, which is present in coffee, stimulates the nervous system and breaks down the fats stored in the cells and tissues. These fats then become available to be burned down as fuel, boosting physical performance and exertion. No wonder that most gym trainers suggest you have a cup of black coffee before every workout session.
3. Black Coffee Benefits for Weight Loss:
Caffeine is one of the best natural foods that help in burning fat. It is no surprise all of the weight loss supplements in the market contain caffeine as one of the top ingredients. Coffee boosts metabolism in the body that helps burn fat faster (2). It also stimulates the nervous system to trigger breaking down the fat cells and indicate the body to use these broken-down fats as fuel for the cells rather than glucose. This fat burning helps lose weight faster and safer.
4. Sharpens Memory and Brain Functions:
Coffee is the most common psychoactive beverage in the world. It is known to boost our energy levels and keep us active throughout the day. A cup of coffee can instantly make our brain and nerves alert and energized because the caffeine in coffee has properties that block adenosine, a neurotransmitter that has inhibitory effects on neurons and sedates the central nervous system.
This results in the increase of neurotransmitters like dopamine and norepinephrine which boost the firing of neurons which greatly helps in improving memory and reducing the risk of dementia. It also improves various functions of the brain like reaction time, mental alertness, awareness and attention, mood etc(3).
5. Reduces The Risk of Cancer:
One of the top pros of coffee is that it has properties that help eliminate toxic enzymes from the blood that can cause cancerous growths. It is also very good at reducing inflammation in the body which is one of the top causes of formation of cancerous tumours. Coffee is found to be very effective in preventing two main types of cancer – liver cancer and colorectal cancer. Both these cancers are one of the leading causes of deaths by cancer in the world.
6. Controls Diabetes:
Diabetes is a condition where the glucose levels in the blood increase due to reduced secretion of insulin or resistance to insulin. Coffee, both caffeinated and decaffeinated, helps in boosting the production of insulin in the body. This helps in controlling diabetes and reducing the risk of diabetes. Increased blood sugar levels have harmful effects on the body like heart disease and organ damage. Drinking as little as2 cups a day shows the significant result in managing diabetes.
7. Fights Depression and Stress:
The caffeine in coffee stimulates the central nervous system and triggers the secretion of ‘happy hormones’ like dopamine, noradrenaline and serotonin. These ‘happy hormones’ help lower stress and uplift the mood. Dopamine is also called as the pleasure hormone as it increases the feelings of happiness and gratification and lowers the feelings of depression and dejection(4). Drinking coffee every day is found to lower suicidal thoughts significantly.
8. Black Coffee Benefits for Liver:
The properties present in coffee help lower the levels of toxic liver enzymes that damage the liver. The liver is a vital organ performing some important functions in the body. Coffee is found to prevent liver diseases like cirrhosis of the liver due to excess alcohol consumption, fatty liver, gallstone disease, liver cancer, hepatitis etc. Drinking at least 4 cups of black coffee a day is found to lower the risk of liver diseases by as much as 80%.
9. Cleanses Your Stomach:
Our stomach is the organ that processes all the food that we consume. And in performing this vital function, the stomach is highly prone to the accumulation of toxins. Coffee is an excellent diuretic, which helps in flushing out all the toxins from the stomach through urine; this is why most of us tend to urinate more often after drinking a few cups of coffee. Thus, it is an excellent drink to detoxify the stomach and make it healthy.
10. Improves Heart Health:
The caffeine present in coffee helps increase the heart rate which is very beneficial for the heart. It helps prevent heart disease and improve cardiovascular health. Regular consumption of coffee is found to reduce the risk of stroke by 20%. However, there are some cases where people experienced an increase in blood pressure due to coffee consumption, though it is found to decrease over time, it is advisable for people with high blood pressure to be mindful and cautious while drinking coffee regularly.
11. Boosts Your Metabolism:
Coffee is found to boost metabolism by as much as 50%. It is one of the best drinks to burn fat and lose weight. Black coffee contains stimulants like caffeine, theobromine etc. that indicate the nervous system to signal the cells in the body to break down fats. Increase in fat burning, and metabolic rate causes effective weight loss(5).
12. Protects Against Gout:
A gout is a form of arthritis associated with inflammation and pain. Gout is caused when uric acid levels in the blood increase leading to crystallization and deposition of uric acid in the joints. The high amounts of antioxidants in coffee help in flushing out the excess uric acid and relieve the symptoms of gout significantly. People who drink coffee regularly have a 57% less risk of developing gout.
13. Reduces Risk of Alzheimer’s:
Alzheimer’s is caused when the connections in brain cells die or degenerate, resulting in memory loss and damage to other important mental functions like thinking and processing. This is a progressive brain disorder which is irreversible. As coffee helps boost various neurotransmitters in the brain that activate memory and other brain functions, there is a reduced risk of developing dementia or Alzheimer’s. Drinking coffee regularly reduces the risk of developing Alzheimer’s by as much as 65%.
14. Reduces Risk of Parkinson’s:
Parkinson’s is the disease of the central nervous system that affects movement. It is caused when the nerve cells are damaged, resulting in decreased levels of dopamine. This slows down the movement in muscles. It also causes stiffness in muscles. Coffee is known to increase dopamine levels which helps manage and prevent Parkinson’s disease. People who drink coffee regularly have 30% to 60% reduced risk of developing Parkinson’s disease.
15. Fights Ageing:
Black coffee helps maintain the health of the body and mind. This slows down the ageing process significantly. Coffee also helps prevent and manage many diseases. This reduces the risk of premature death and increases longevity.
Black Coffee Side Effects:
Though black coffee benefits are numerous, which has its own disadvantages on the body. Caffeine is found to cause some harmful health conditions, especially in people who are sensitive to caffeine. Let us look at some of the cons of consuming black coffee:
- As coffee is very acidic it causes heartburn and acidity. This is one of the common negative effects of coffee. Coffee is also found to damage the stomach and intestinal lining leading to stomach ulcers.
- Though caffeine is a popular mood enhancer, it is also linked to increased levels of stress hormones in the body. This results in restless and anxiety.
- Coffee is an excellent diuretic, but when consumed in excess it can cause dehydration and fatigue. It can sap the moisture from your skin and cause skin dryness and roughness.
- As caffeine boosts alertness, it is one of the leading causes of insomnia. It is advised to drink the last cup of coffee at least 6 hours before bedtime.
- Coffee consumption is not recommended during pregnancy as caffeine can be harmful to fetal development. Excess coffee consumption increases the risk of miscarriage, premature birth and low birth weight.
So, dear black coffee lovers, now that you know the health benefits of your favourite beverage, pull your sleeves up, brew some hot black coffee and sip it up! Make sure you brew it the way we recommended to you so enjoy the most delicious drink ever! If you know any new ways to brew coffee or any special ingredients to add to it to make it flavorful, let us know by writing to us below!