16 Amazing Barley Water Benefits For Skin, Hair & Health
Remember those good old days, when your mom used to coax you into drinking Barley Khanji? Barley is one of the most nutritious cereal grain, used in preparing a variety of baked products, soups and salads. Barley is rich in carbohydrates and important vitamins, minerals. It is often regarded as a super grain and is extremely popular with health freaks. In this article, get to know more about the Barley health benefits ie, barley water benefits, preparation, nutrition facts and daily dosage in detail:
What Is Barley?
Barley is a cereal grain that belongs to the grass family. Whole barley grains have a husk as the outer cover. They resemble rice grains in appearance with a white colour grain inside but is more glutinous and chewier. It is considered to be one of the world’s healthiest foods and is also extremely versatile to use. Barley is also called “Jau” in Hindi, “Jav” in Gujarati, “Satu” in Marathi, “Barliarisi” in Tamil and “BarliBiyyam” in Telugu. There are many Barley Benefits for health (jau benefits) which include aiding in constipation, curing infections and even preventing Cancers.
Types Of Barley:
Barley grains are available in many varieties in the market, with the common form being whole grains:
- Flakes: Flaked Barley is like rolled oats, which are made by flattening them. They are used in baked goods or in Muesli.
- Flour: Barley flour is made by pounding the grains into a fine powder. This is used along with other flours in Baked products.
- Grits: Barley grits are cracked grains which are made by toasting them first and then cracked. They resemble cracked corn in appearance.
- Hulled: Hulled barley is made by removing just the outer husk, keeping the entire bran intact. This is rich in dietary fibre and nutritious compared to the other varieties of Barley.
- Pearl Barley: These are white coloured, uniform shaped grains which resemble tiny pearls. They are made by removing the bran layer and are widely used in soups and salads.
- Unhulled Barley: These barley grains have the outer husk intact and a flavouring for making sprouts.
Barley Nutrition Facts:
Barley is high on important vitamins and minerals. Check out the nutritional breakup of 100 gms Serving size:
- Total Calories: 354
- Total Fat: 2.3 gm
- Sodium: 0%
- Potassium: 452 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 73 gm
- Dietary Fiber: 17 gm
- Protein: 12 gm
- Iron: 19%
- Vitamin B6: 15%
- Magnesium: 33%
Now that you have understood about Barley grains, let us understand a bit more in detail about Barley Water:
What Is Barley Water?
The milky white drink which is made by boiling barley seeds in water is called Barley Water, which is the most common form of consuming this Barley. Barley water in Hindi is called “Jau Paani” and is used as a traditional home remedy in many households and is well-known for its nutritional benefits. The goodness of Barley water is such that, it is often given as the first baby food in many countries. It is quite easy to digest and also helps in treating many ailments. Here’s your guide to understanding the best benefits of drinking Barley water and also learn the preparation method.
Can We Drink Barley Water Daily?
Yes! Barley water is safe for daily consumption. In fact, it is quite recommended for pregnant and lactating women and even old people to keep constipation and other digestive problems at bay! Drinking Barley water regularly during summers can result in a cooling effect.
How To Store Barley Water?
The nutrition in Barley water is best utilized when it colour fresh. However, if you wish to store it for future use, use a glass container with an airtight seal. Keeping it refrigerated for about 2-3 days is optimal and beyond that, the water may be unfit for consumption.
What Is The Best Time To Drink Barley Water?
The best part of barley water is that it can be had at any time, without facing any side effects. One can have a bowl of warm Barley water for breakfast to start your day on a healthy note. You can also have it as a soup for lunch or as a mid-meal. Retaining the Barley grains can give you a chewy texture to make you feel satiated.
How Much Barley Water Can I Drink Per Day?
You can have around 2-3 glasses of Barley water per day if you do not have any Gluten allergies. This dosage is especially recommended for patients who face urinary tract infections. Barley water can flush out the toxins and the bacteria, offering instant relief. The only problem with consuming excess Barley water is, it’s diuretic properties that can give you the urge to frequently urinate.
How To Make Barley Water At Home:
- Pearl barley – ¼ cup.
- Water – 3 cups.
- Crystal salt – to taste [Those who want a sweet version can add sugar, brown sugar, molasses, jaggery, or honey.]
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp.
- Soak thoroughly cleaned barely in 3 cups of water overnight.
- Pressure cook in the same water for about 4 whistles. Lower the flame and allow to cook for another 10 minutes until barley turns mushy.
- Take out the cooked barley after the pressure subsides.
- Allow the mixture to cool thoroughly before straining and flavouring.
- Serve the refreshing drink garnished with a lemon wedge.
Barley Water Benefits For Health, Hair & Skin:
The following are some of the top uses of Barley water (jau ka pani benefits) for skin, hair and health:
Health Benefits Of Barley Water:
Here we enlisted top 13 health benefits of barley water. Let’s have a look into them.
1. Barley Water For Weight Reduction:
Packed with fibres, this drink keeps you full for a longer period of time and suppresses your appetite. Plus, the fibres also ensure that the toxins are flushed out of the system. A lower appetite combined with a toxin-free body offers guaranteed weight loss. This is one of the best Barley water benefits.
2. Anti Cancerous Properties:
Being a storehouse of antioxidants, regular inclusion of this drink in your diet could thwart off the risk of cancer by scavenging the free radicals. The presence of fibre triggers the production of good bacteria in your gut, thus shielding you against colon cancer.
3. Barley Water For Diabetes:
Along with maintaining the sugar levels in the blood, this drink retards the body’s potential to absorb carbohydrates. Thus, diabetics can rely on barley water for maintaining their glucose levels.
4. Protection For The Heart:
The presence of fibres, both soluble and insoluble ones, in plentiful amounts in this drink aids in lowering the levels of bad cholesterol. The lower the LDL levels are, the safer your heart will be.
5. For A Stronger Digestive System:
Give your digestive system a good dose of fibre by consuming a glass of barley water daily. Along with improving the digestive fire, it acts as a natural anti-flatulent agent. The presence of fibre in good amounts also renders a laxative power to this drink, making it an ideal home remedy for constipation.
See More: Barley Water During Pregnancy
6. Good For Your Kidneys:
As mentioned earlier, people suffering from renal stones can take the help of this drink to flush out the small calcium deposits. It also detoxifies the kidneys, thus thwarting off the risk of renal cancer.
7. Natural Remedy For Anemia:
The presence of copper in this drink aids in improving the production of haemoglobin, thus lowering the chances of onset of anemia. Those who have anemia can also consume this iron-rich drink to improve the red blood cells counts.
8. For A Better Immune System:
The presence of Vitamin C in surplus amounts in this drink strengthens your immune system, keeping frequent recurrences of cold and cough at bay. Keep your fatigue away by rendering a dose of iron with a glass of barley water. The better your immune system is, the lower the chances of you falling sick will be.
9. Shields Against Gallstones:
The insoluble fibres of barley water lower the secretion of bile acids. The lower the levels of bile acids are, the better the insulin sensitivity will be. This, in turn, diminishes the triglycerides level, preventing the formation of gallstones.
10. Averts Atherosclerosis:
Vitamin B complex present in this energy drink lowers the levels of cholesterol. This, in turn, prevents fats from getting deposited on arterial walls and thickening it. In short, the lower levels of cholesterol and LDL obstruct the development of atherosclerosis.
11. For Stronger Bones:
Calcium, copper, and phosphorous, present in barley water, strengthen the bones and improve their overall health. The drink also contains manganese, which plays a major role in the production of bones. A glass of this drink is known to contain calcium eleven times more than a glass of milk. This drink is also replete with iron, thus making it an ideal drink to avert and cure osteoporosis.
12. Treats Urinary Tract Infections:
This is one of the major uses of drinking Barley water. It works as a diuretic, which makes the body urinate more than the normal levels. This process helps in flushing the toxins out of the body, including the microbes. It is recommended to take 2-3 glasses of Barley water per day to keep UTI at bay!
13. Natural Antidote For Poisoning:
Studies suggest that barley water has the potential antidote properties that could as for thwarting off the risks associated with poisoning.
See More: Health Benefits Of Coconut Water
Benefits Of Barley Water For Skin:
Here we enlisted top 2 benefits of barley water for skin. Let’s have a look into them.
14. Has Anti-Aging Properties:
Barley Water benefits skin in many ways. Packed with vitamin C and other antioxidants, this super liquid scavenges the free radicals that trigger the early onset of wrinkles, fine lays, and saggy skin. The presence of selenium in this liquid helps in retaining the elasticity of the skin. Thus, regular use of barley water could help in keeping your skin well-toned, supple, youthful, and radiant.
15. Treats Clogged Pores:
If you are suffering from clogged pores and acne breakouts, Barley water is the best natural solution. An anti-inflammatory compound called Azelaic acid can help in unblocking the pores, reduce skin inflammation and also prevent acne. Along with internal consumption, applying the water directly on the skin can make it smooth and glass-like.
Benefits Of Barley Water For Hair:
Here we enlisted, benefits of barley water for hair. Let’s have a look into them.
16. Fights Hair Loss and Retains Hair Color:
The presence of niacin, thiamine, and Procyanidin B-3 enables this water of barley to promote hair growth, rendering a thick, lush hair. Iron and copper enriched barley water improves the production of red blood cells, thereby offering relief from hair loss due to anaemia. The presence of copper also aids in maintaining the colour of your hair by triggering melanin secretion in right amounts.
Barley Water For Women:
Barley water has found to be immensely beneficial for women. Pregnant and lactating women can rely on this drink, on a regular basis, to improve the quality and quantity of breast milk secreted. Here is what this humble drink can do for the women during pregnancy and breastfeeding:
- The analgesic properties of this drink help in soothing the pain experienced during the initial days of breastfeeding.
- It stimulates the production of digestive juices, thereby easing indigestion and related problems in the mothers as well as babies.
- Being low in the glycaemic index, it could aid the new mothers to shed the pregnancy weight in a healthy way.
- Sip the drink to ease morning sickness experienced during the first trimester.
- It safeguards women from the urinary tract and yeast infections experienced during pregnancy.
- Regular use of this drink can prevent gestational diabetes in pregnant women.
- Keep pregnancy-triggered Edema and hypertension at bay with this awesome drink.
- Barley water is also known to ease nasal congestion during pregnancy.
- Prevent the formation of gallstones at bay with barley water during pregnancy.
Barley Water Side Effects:
Although Barley water is generally regarded as safe for internal consumption, it does come with certain side effects. Barley contains high amounts of Gluten, making it unfit for those with Gluten allergies. The symptoms experienced are as follows:
- Stomach cramps.
If you experience any of these, it is better to discontinue the use and contact a physician.
See More: Benefits Of Drinking Water
Aren’t you surprised to know how this everyday drink could be so wonderful for your health? No wonder why our mothers and grandmothers used to make it every day at home, especially during the harsh summers. This nutritious drink can reduce the dependency of many powerful drugs, especially antibiotics. This is why even doctors prescribe drinking this water every day to develop your immune system and keep your body hale and hearty!