6 Best Yoga Asanas For Low Back Pain Relief
Lower back pain is one of the most excruciating health problems ever. Even a simple chore like sitting or sleeping can worsen the pain and ruin the quality of your life. While many of us resort to temporary pain relief with painkillers, the long-term consequences are serious. This is why experts recommend switching to Yoga for Lower back pain relief. With a perfect combination of stretches and breathing practices, Yoga can deliver immediate results. In this article, we shall learn the benefits of Yoga asanas for your spine, with detailed steps.
Symptoms and Causes of Lower Back Pain:
Let us first understand the symptoms of Lower back pain to identify the problem:
- Severe pain in the lower back
- Restricted movement in the hip joints and legs
- Numbness in your legs, with a pricking sensation
- Dull pain in upper buttocks
Now that you have learnt the symptoms, let us also know the main factors that contribute to this problem:
- Strain Of Back Muscles, due to injury, trauma or poor posture
- Damage of spinal disks, which cause friction internally
- Sciatica, which results in pressing of nerve due to bulged disk.
- Spinal Stenosis, leading to narrowed spaces in the spine
- Arthritis, which damages your bone strength
- Kidney Problems or stone movement, leading to lower back pain
- Pregnancy or Overweight, which can strain your lower back muscles
- Cancer in Spine
- Pelvic Problems
Is Yoga Good For Lower Back Pain?
So, how are Yoga and lower back pain related? Yoga helps in strengthening the spine and offer quick relief from pain and discomfort. Following are some of the key benefits of Yoga.
- Yoga poses for lower back relief improves in muscle strength in back and abdomen areas
- Stretching exercises help in releasing tension from the muscles and offer relaxation
- Yoga sequence for lower back pain also promotes better flexibility of joints and muscles
- With a rhythmic flow of breath while performing asanas, one can experience an improved sense of balance, body alignment and good posture.
- There is also an increased self-awareness to help the individual avoid the causes for pain in future.
Yoga Therapy for Lower Back Pain:
Now, below we mention some best yoga stretches for lower back pain and they are as follows;
1. Downward Dog:
Adho-Mukha Asana or Downward dog position helps in building muscle strength in spine. The pose gets it name from its resemblance to the way a dog stretches it body to release tension from its muscles. This is one of the most effective yoga poses for lower back pain.
How to Do:
- This pose will support in spinal traction and lower back fitness.
- Stand Lie down on the floor fronting the ground and place your hands in front of you. Flatten your palms on the floor.
- Boost your hips off the ground by balancing yourself on your feet and hands. High your hips as much as you can, till you feel a calming stretch in your back.
- Take 5 to10 breaths in this place.
- One or two rounds to get rid of pain
2. Talasana (Palm tree pose):
Talasana is considered to one of the easy yoga exercises for lower back pain. Talasana helps in stretching the spinal muscles and offers better physical, mental balance. It also stretches the muscles in the abdomen to improve better digestion. You will also notice toned muscles.
How to Do:
- Stand straight, feet shoulder width not together, hands on sides, chin drawn in. Maintain spine and neck straight.
- Increase both arms up and heels instantaneously, increase on toes, inhaling for two seconds.
- Keep this pose, holding breath for four seconds. Later this brief standstill, coming back to regular position by spinning the arm backwards and downwards, concurrently lowering heels, although respiring for two seconds back to initial position.
- Practice for 1 Round, each comprising of 10 times
See More:Eye Exercises Yoga
3. Supine Hamstring Stretch:
Hamstrings are a group of muscles at the back of your thigh that run from your pelvis to your knees. This is one of the bestyoga exercises for lower back pain relief, which can help in stretching the hamstrings and muscles in lower back to get rid of pain.
How To Do:
- Setting on your back, twist your right knee into your chest and place a strip or rolled-up towel round the ball of your foot.
- Flatten your leg to the ceiling. Press out over both heels. If the lower back feels stressed, twist the left knee and place the foot on the ground.
- Grasp for 3-5 minutes and then change to the left lease for 3-5 minutes.
- Repeat this pose for 10 times
Check out this simple yoga for lower back pain! Pigeon pose or Eka Pada Rajapotasana helps in opening up the hip joint and release stress and tension from your lower back. This exercise is particularly recommended for people with sciatica. This is one of the easyYoga asanas for lower back pain.
How To Do:
- Take your right knee after your right wrist with your lower leg at a diagonal to your left hip.
- Square off your hips to the ground. Curve forward.
- Enlarge the elbows and place one hand on top of the other as a pillow for your forehead.
- Grasp 2-3 minutes and then shift to the left side for 2-3 minutes.
- Repeat the pose 5 times on each side
See More:How To Reduce Belly Fat By Yoga
5. Cat/Cow Poses:
The cow and cat pose is a good yoga workout for lower back pain. This asana resembles the cat and cow poses and hence the name. It helps in stretching the spinal muscles to get rid of lower back pain, sciatica, neck and shoulders. It also improves the lung capacity for better breathability.
How To Do:
- Get on your hands and knees with your hands lined up underneath your shoulders and your knees in line with your hips.
- Inhale and bend your spine so that belly drawing towards the floor, bottom highs toward the sky and your head slopes back.
- Exhale and expose the belly inner, bending the back upward, twisting your chin to your chest, and pushing your tailbone under.
- Repeat these two postures, mildly stretching up on the inhale and curling in on the exhale, as many times as you like.
- Repeat it for 5-20 times for each pose.
6. Twist The Spine:
Spinal twist is one of the best Yoga moves for lower back pain. Spinal twist helps in realigning spinal disorders and improve flexibility. It also stimulates internal organs and removes toxins from abdomen. The asana helps in lengthening the spine and alleviate pain. Try these easy Yoga poses to help lower back pain in a few minutes.
How To Do:
- Place your left hand on your right knee. Take a deep breath and gradually curl your body to your right side.
- You can also place your right hand on the ground close your right hip. Stretch ascending by pressing your hand alongside the floor.
- Try to keep your back as straight as conceivable. Inhale and come back to your middle position.
- Recap the same stretch on the left side. Draw your tummy in for a deeper stretch.
- 5 Minutes on each side
See More:Yoga Anatomie
Additional Tips and Precautions To Follow:
Before practicing Yoga, you need to follow certain precautions to avoid injuries:
- Yoga must always be done on empty stomach. Never perform asanas immediately after food and drink.
- If you have strained muscles or injuries, performing Yoga is not recommended
- Yoga asanas must be performed under the supervision of a trained instructor to ensure right posture.
- Always stretch your body within its limits. Over performing asanas can be dangerous.
Those are some of the best asanas in Yoga for Lower back pain! Yoga can work miracles for spinal issues if performed correctly. However, the recovery period may vary from person to person based on various factors like age, spinal health etc., Along with understanding the benefits of these poses, gaining knowledge on what poses to avoid is crucial. You can also make modifications to perform these poses within your comfort zone. So, try them and let us know your experiences.