Herbs cannot really cure flu, but they can definitely ease out the symptoms of the flu and its duration. Apart from providing substantial relief, there are herbs that can also prevent the flu. Some flu can seriously make you ill, while others are mild and don’t really pose a threat.
What is flu and what are its types?
Flu is a contagious respiratory infection that is generally caused by flu viruses. Some of these poses serious threat to the body while others leave the body unharmed. The flu virus will enter your body through the nose, eyes or mouth membranes, this means, every time you touch these areas, you are infecting yourself with the virus. Here are some of the types of flu that you should know about.
There are three types of flu viruses that are common. They are the A, B, and C type. Type A and B are responsible for the annual influenza epidemics that have up to 20% of the population sniffling, aching, coughing, and running high fevers. Type C also causes flu; however, type C flu symptoms are not very severe.
Type A viruses is responsible for the large flu epidemics and is capable of infecting animals. Type B flu virus is found only in humans. It is severe than Type A but we cannot always rule out Type B to be less harmful. Type C viruses are also found in people. They are, however, milder than either type A or B. People generally do not serious sickness from Type C. Type C flu viruses are not known to cause epidemics.
Best Natural Herbs To Treat Flu:
Here are some effective herbs for flu.
Ginger is a popular herbal remedy for flu that has been used to cure nausea, stomach problems, digestion problems, inflammation, headaches, cold, menstrual cramps, and flu symptoms.
The ginger roots have warming properties, which helps the body to perspire and release the pathogens inside the body. Ginger is also known to improve the immune system of the body.
In case of flu, ginger can be consumed in the form of tea or supplements, to rid the body of the flu virus.
Here is How to Make It:
- Bring water, ginger and cinnamon powder to a rolling boil and then allow it to simmer.
- Boil ginger and cinnamon in water. Pour 1 cup of water into a pan.
- Strain it and mix in the honey.
Drink it 3 or 4 times daily for effective results.
See More: Best Way To Avoid Pregnancy After Marriage
This herb is known to be used against fever and influenza. The function of this herb is stimulating the immune system of the body.
Apart from treating sever fevers, Boneset can also be used to heal broken bones and to cure body ache.
When under the influence of fever, consume this herb in the form of 4-5 cups of tea daily, when in bed. This will help induce perspiration in the body, thus bringing down the fever.
Here’s How to Make the Drink:
- Keep the dried boneset in a jar and pour enough boiling water over it to fill the jar.
- Let this infusion steep for four hours.
- Strain and drink 4-5 cups of it daily.
The tea tastes severely bitter and would be better to re-heat it after straining.
This is well known tonic that is being used against flu, cold and even sinus infections, for a very long time.
The Elderberry is commonly used in the form of tea. This herb is also known to contain viburnic acid, which works by increasing perspiration and thereby, detoxifying the body tissues.
It is due to these properties that, this herb helps in bringing down fever, cleaning out pathogens from the cells in the body, and purifying the blood in general.
Make this herbal medicine for flu easily at home.
- Pour water into medium saucepan and add elderberries, ginger, cloves and cinnamon into it.
- Boil well and then cover. Reduce to simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour until the liquid reduces by half.
- Now, remove from heat and let cool enough to be handled. Mash the berries and strain it to a jar or air tight container.
- Throw the elderberries and let the liquid cool to lukewarm. When it is no longer hot, add 1 cup of honey and stir well.
- When honey is well mixed into the elderberry mixture, pour the syrup into a jar.
You just made the elderberry jam. Store it in a fridge and use 1 table spoon for adults and ½ spoon for kids.
This herb has been a part of Ayurvedic medication in India for a long time. It is popularly known to treat sinus and other upper respiratory infections. Andrographis also reduces the symptoms of fever, cough, headache and sore throats.
- Make sure to take two 250-500 mg tablets or capsules three times a day.
They are readily available on stores and will prove effective when taken in the initial start of the symptom.
People who are prone to upper respiratory infections, must consume this herb daily during the winter season, to prevent the infections.
Echinacea is known to treat snakes bites and wounds, various infections, and all-in-all, a general cure for the body. This herb improves the immune system, keeping it strong, healthy and working against various pathogens.
There is an enzyme called hyaluronidase, which destroys the defences of the body against ailments and diseases. Echinacea is known to work against this very enzyme.
Make this tea easily at home.
- Steep one teaspoon of dried herb or root, in one cup of boiled water for five minutes.
- After ten minutes, strain the tea and drink when it reaches a luke warm temperature.
Take 300mg three times in time of illness.
Apart from working against various pathogens and viruses inside the body, this herb is also believed to slow down tumour growth in the body.
Ginseng is known to improve the overall immune system of the body. This is why, this herb when consumed on a regular basis, builds on the immunity, keeping the flu away.
Consuming Ginseng prevents the body from the common cold and flu.
When taken in high doses however, it may cause high blood pressure or an increased heart rate.
Make this Ginseng herbal medicine for flu easily at home. Ginseng tea powder is easily available in the market. Supplement your tea powder with some ginseng tea powder and make your usual cup of tea with some added effect.
Anise is known to get rid of phlegm, and in large doses contains anti-viral properties. The preparation is rather easy and here’s how to make your daily cup.
- Take 1-2 tsp of Anise and boil in a cup of tea to protect yourself from flu and cold virus.
See More: Cinnamon During Early Pregnancy
This is known to increase the blood flow to the spleen, which basically means an improved and active immune system. Apart from stimulating the immune system, Goldenseal is also a good antiseptic.
The standard dose is 4-6 grams three times per day in capsule or tablet form and is often used in combination with other herbs.
This herb when consumed, activates the white blood cells in the body that are responsible for the destruction of tumour cells, viruses, bacteria and fungi
The Seneca Snakeroot is known to protect the body against sinus and upper respiratory infections and reduce the upper respiratory phlegm. It also helps to treat emphysema and bronchitis.
This herb can be consumed in the form of tea, using 1 tsp in a cup of tea.
Herbal Remedies for Cold and Flu:
Some of the best herbal remedies for cold and flu are things that will make use of things in your kitchen. Take a look at what you can make.
The health benefits of ginger have been vouched since centuries. Its effects have now been scientifically proven and is an effective cure for cold and flu. Here is how to make magic portion.
- Slice in some ginger into boiling water. Drink it luke warm.
It is also known to cure nausea and flu. Grab a ginger tea pack today and get back to normalcy.
Honey is known for its antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. Few drops of honey in your tea will cure your throat pain, that is associated with cold and flu.
- Boil water and add some tea powder.
- Bring it to rolling boil and squeeze in some lemon. Add one spoon of honey and add the tea. Stir well and drink it at least 4-5 cups of it for best results.
Honey lemon tea is helps reduce cough and cold.
While you may have to put up with the smell of raw garlic throughout the day, garlic nevertheless contains a compound known as allicin that has antimicrobial properties. Try out this herbal treatment for flu and cold.
- Crush fresh garlic into a glass of milk and drink it as the first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
Add in more garlic to your diet. This might help you avoid getting sick in the first place.
Turmeric and Pepper Solution:
Turmeric has high antimicrobial properties that is good for your health. A simple drink of turmeric and pepper is enough to cure you cold and flu.
- Boil water and add a fresh root of turmeric to it.
- Strain it into a cup and add in a pinch of pepper to it.
Discard the root when drinking it. Drink this at least 5-6 times a day to see effective results.
If you are more of a tea person, here are two best herbal teas you can make and drink it. These are the best herbal remedies for cold and flu.
The Basic Tea:
Here is a classic herbal remedy for cold and flu and that you can easily make at home.
- Take 3-4 slices of ginger with skin and one clove of chopped garlic. Bring it to a boil and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- Use ginger water to steep tea whether black, green, oolong.
- Add in the cayenne powder when hot. Add some honey for taste.
- Add milk or any other dairy supplement.
Drink 3-4 cups per day to achieve best results.
See More: Does Green Tea Reduce Blood Pressure
Drink this mix of garlic lemonade that is a classic combination of the essential things you need to take during your illness.
- In a jar, combine 2-4 cloves chopped garlic and 3-4 slices of fresh ginger.
- Cover and let it steep for at least 20 minutes.
- Add juice of 2-3 lemons and honey to taste
You can strain or leave herbs in mixture. Drink it luke warm and not chilled.
Herbal tea and mix are remedies are easy to make recipes. Most of the ingredients are the common ones that are readily available in your kitchen at any point of time. Be sure to drink them regularly to cure your flu and cold, before it takes a toll on you. They warm and soothe your body and puts your body in a comforting position. This time, make yourself comfortable with our herbal remedies for cold and flu.
Images Source: Shutter stock 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.