Green Tea During Pregnancy – To Drink Or Avoid?
Are you a green tea lover and willing to start a family? Then the biggest question that will be probably haunting. You is can pregnant women drink green tea and what is the safe quantity for consumption? Green tea which is considered as a highly healthy drink otherwise may not be safe during pregnancy? Read here to know the benefits and side effects of drinking green tea. As well as the safe quantity of consuming green tea per day.
Is it safe to have green tea during pregnancy?
Is it good to drink green tea in pregnancy? During pregnancy, most of the women are so much confused about drinking green tea. But the right answer is yes. It is safe for pregnant women to drink green tea during pregnancy provided it is in moderation. During the pregnancy, the first trimester precisely the baby’s neural tube is growing and for its proper growth folic acid is vital.
On the other hand, drinking a tremendously large quantity of green tea can stop your body from proper absorption of folic acid. Folic acid is an important nutrient, mostly in the first 12 weeks of your pregnancy. One small research recommends that babies can increase neural tube defects, for example, spina bifida caused by the lack of folic acid, plus in a condition where the mothers drink much green tea about the instance of conception. So if it’s not possible for you to avoid green tea altogether have a mug or else two maximum each day.
It’s secure to drink equal to 200 mg of caffeine throughout pregnancy that is equal to one 8-12-ounce cup of coffee (depending on the variety) or four 8-ounce cups of green or black tea each day.
See More: What Fruits To Eat During Pregnancy
Benefits of drinking green tea during pregnancy:
- Green tea increases the chances of getting pregnant as it contains fertility boosting properties such as Vitamin C, antioxidants and various other minerals.
- Green tea aids in regulating blood pressure and thereby preventing the serious condition called preeclampsia.
- Being a powerful source of antioxidants, it aids in fighting diseases like cancer, heart disease, blood pressure etc.
- It aids in controlling the mood swings.
- Green tea helps in dealing with indigestion and constipation – a common complaint during pregnancy.
- Green tea enhances bone health and makes the bones strong.
- Research has shown that Green tea slows down the growth of cancerous cells.
Risks of green tea during pregnancy:
Green tea has a lot of benefits provided it is drunk in a prescribed quantity. The following are the Green tea side effects during pregnancy which should be known before consuming the same:
- Green tea hampers the iron absorption in the body. Iron is required for the production of the haemoglobin. Drinking too much green tea can cause gestational anaemia in pregnant women.
- Folic acid is considered to be one of the most important nutrients during pregnancy as it prevents neural defects in the baby. Overconsumption of green tea may inhibit the folic acid getting absorbed in the body thereby increasing the risk of congenital neural disabilities.
- Green tea raises the metabolism level. Throughout the pregnancy the metabolism is already very high and raising it further can be injurious.
See More: Benefits Of Honey During Pregnancy
Varieties of Green Tea to be used in pregnancy:
Green tea, which is becoming increasingly popular in India, it is being consumed in Japan and China for centuries owing to its many health benefits. The following are the various types of green tea you may want to try besides the regular one due to their additional benefits.
- Mint Green Tea – This green tea has an enhanced refreshing flavour which aids you in recovering from the morning sickness. Its amazing aroma has an enhanced restorative power which helps in boosting the energy levels and uplift the mood.
- Tulsi Green Tea – Tulsi has its significance in the ancient Ayurveda owing to its amazing remedial properties. Its combination with Green Tea is a delightful concoction. It aids in preventing the body from getting attacked through the damaging free radicals, strengthens immunity and cuts down the stress.
- Himalayan Green Tea – This is the organic green tea picked up from the foothills of the Himalayas. It works as an excellent detox and aids in tackling fatigue during pregnancy.
See More: Which Vegetables To Be Avoided During Pregnancy
How much green tea to be consumed each day?
There is no research that can prove that drinking green tea can be harmful during pregnancy. However, as it is rich in antioxidants too much green tea can hamper the iron and folic acid absorption in the body which may prove to be fatal for the pregnancy. So to be on a safer side consuming one or two mugs of green tea during pregnancy should be more than enough.
Tips for drinking green tea during pregnancy:
Keeping the following tips in mind will make sure that the green tea you are drinking during pregnancy does only good and no harm to you:
- Drink a maximum of 2-3 cups of green tea.
- Decaffeinate the green tea yourself before drinking if possible by filling up the mug of water dipping the green tea bag for 30 seconds and spilling it. Now consume the green tea prepared by putting the same tea bag in a fresh mug of hot water, and you will be surprised to see that your green tea has been decaffeinated.
There is no official advice that says consuming green tea during pregnancy is harmful. Everybody is different, and so is every pregnancy. One must listen to the signals given by one’s body. Whether green tea is having a positive effect or a negative effect on your body can be experienced by you alone. So be alert and judicious in deciding whether you should consume green tea during pregnancy or not. Howsoever make sure you don’t overdo it, and you must restrict the intake of green tea to a maximum 2 cups per day.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q1. How much green tea should I consume during pregnancy?
Ans: Though drinking green tea is beneficial, over-consumption of the same can hamper the iron and folic acid absorption in the body which is very important during pregnancy. Consuming 2 cups of green tea a day is considered to be a safe quantity for consumption during pregnancy.
Q2. What kind of teas are safe during pregnancy?
Ans: The following are the various types of herbal teas that are considered safe for consumption during pregnancy:
- Chamomile tea
- Lemon balm tea
- 4 nettle tea
- Rooibos tea
- Peppermint tea
- Ginger tea
- Raspberry leaf tea
Q3. Is green tea good for getting pregnant?
Ans: The green tea aids in keeping the body hydrated and increases the cervical mucus which facilitates the sperms travelling to fertilize the egg. Also, it is rich in various minerals and antioxidants which aid pregnancy. Hence drinking green tea in moderation may boost fertility.