Remember those good old days, when your grandmother used to coax you into drinking a glass of yellow coloured milk at bed time. Back then, we as kids never realized that she was actually doing us plenty of good. Turmeric or golden milk has been an essential part of the Indian diet since many centuries. Especially for expectant and new mothers, turmeric milk is made mandatory to strengthen the immune system and fight many infections causing microbes. Turmeric, also called ” Queen of Spices” is rich in a compound called Curcumin, which is responsible for the yellow colour of the root. Curcumin is a powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. No wonder why an Indian curry is never made without adding a pinch of turmeric for colour, flavour and health benefits. Let’s explore the benefits of Turmeric milk during pregnancy.
Is It Safe To Drink Turmeric Milk During Pregnancy?
Milk is a rich source of Calcium, which is essential for bone health of both baby and mother. By adding a pinch of turmeric to your regular glass of milk, you can greatly increase its potency. Check out the turmeric milk benefits during pregnancy:
- Regular consumption of Haldi milk during pregnancy can decrease the oxidative damage in the body and even wards off infections like common cold, sore throat etc.,
- Drinking warm turmeric milk at bedtime can also promote sound sleep at night and drive away pre-natal depression.
- Haldi Doodh in pregnancy also helps women who suffer from arthritis by reducing inflammation and also strengthening bones.
- Regular consumption of turmeric can reduce chances of degenerative diseases in the baby.
- It can help in reducing cholesterol levels and promote good heart health.
- Turmeric milk is also rich in nutrition and can supply the body of all vital minerals and vitamins.
- Turmeric milk can also aid in better digestion by promoting the growth of healthy probiotic gut bacteria.
See More: Milk for Pregnant Women
Nutrition Values Of Turmeric Milk:
Check out the nutrition facts of Turmeric milk in 1 glass of buffalo milk with 1 gm of Turmeric powder:
Total Calories: 100
- Total Fat: 6.9 gm
- Sodium: 52 mg
- Carbohydrates: 5.9gm
- Dietary Fiber: 0.2gm
- Protein: 3.9gm
- Vitamin A: 4%
- Vitamin C: 4%
- Calcium: 17%
- Iron: 4%
Is Turmeric Safe During Pregnancy?
Turmeric is one of the few spices which is regarded completely safe during pregnancy. However, you need to keep a tab on its usage. The recommended dosage of haldi in pregnancy should not exceed 1gm per day, as it lead to severe health complications, including abortions.
See More: Eating Sausage While Pregnant
Enjoy your cup of hot turmeric milk that is safe for consumption during pregnancy.
What is Turmeric Tea?
Turmeric tea, also called Turmeric latte is another great way of consuming turmeric with milk. This is high on taste and flavour and is a healthy replacement for your regular chai. This is specially for pregnants who like to enjoy their regular cup of tea, but with the goodness of turmeric. Turmeric tea during pregnancy can soothe a sore throat and give instant relief from headaches.
Here is how to make it:
- Boil Some milk and add spice mixture of Cinnamon, cardamom, Ginger and Black Pepper powder.
- Add a pinch of turmeric to the milk.
- Remove from heat and add a dollop of honey.
- Serve warm.
See More: Apple Cider Vinegar During Pregnancy
Precautions and Side Effects Of Turmeric Milk During Pregnancy:
While the benefits of turmeric during pregnancy are known, one should also understand the turmeric pregnancy side effects and precautions to follow:
- Turmeric in the milk should not exceed a dosage of 1gm per day as it can cause overheat in the body.
- Women with milk allergies must stay away from turmeric milk.
- Never use artificial turmeric supplements as they can be dangerous during pregnancy. Use fresh, naturally available root or powder.
- Excessive usage of turmeric milk in pregnancy can lead to miscarriages, as the spice can stimulate pre-term uterine contractions.
Turmeric milk is one of the best ways to enjoy your glass of milk. Not only does it help expectant mothers, but also those who are lactating. Instead of relying on medicines to fight simple infections, start following your grandmother’s advice and make yourself a nice cup of golden milk. You will not only have a good sleep, but also wake up feeling fresh. This is extremely important for pregnant women to kick back stress and have a healthy body and mind. So, all you would-be mothers, while the stork is busy packing your baby, focus on your health and get yourself a lovely drink!
1. Can Turmeric Milk reduce anxiety and nervousness?
Yes! During pregnancy, feelings of anxiety and stress are quite common. Turmeric milk is a great way to deal with it and keep your emotions in tab. It is recommended to consume 1 glass of this milk before hitting the bed to enjoy a good night’s sleep. You can even try the turmeric tea version for some extra flavour.
2. I’m dealing with overweight issues. Is turmeric milk right for me?
Turmeric milk doesn’t add extra weight unless you use full fat milk. If you want to bring the calorie count down, use skim or better soy milk. Just warm up the milk and add a pinch of turmeric. Instead of sugar, you can opt for jaggery or honey.
3. Can I use turmeric root instead of powder for milk?
Many people use fresh turmeric root, which in no way affects the taste of the milk. Infact, it has a richer and denser flavour than the powder form. Make sure to add just a small piece and boil for a few minutes. You expect a slightly yellow-orange hue due to the concentrated levels of Curcumin.