Oolong Tea For Weight Loss: Benefits, Quick DIY Recipes
Who doesn’t want to lose weight? We all want to look good, stay fit, and to feel right at the end of the day. But losing weight for a perfect figure can be gruelling with the busy life we lead, Working out, going on a diet, sacrifice the food you love; all these aren’t as easy as they seem to be. Too much weight leads to various problems associated with obesity, fatigue, low activity, and the list is never-ending. What if there is a magic drink that helps in weight loss. Yes! It is possible. Oolong tea increases the metabolic rate of the body, which helps with weight loss. It helps keep our energy up during physical activities. The higher the metabolic rate, you can lose weight faster.
Today we are going to talk about much-discussed oolong tea and how it helps in losing weight.
What Is Oolong Tea:
Oolong tea is a Chinese tea traditionally extracted from leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant. The oxidation process is only partial in oolong tea. Green tea and black are also derived from the same plant except the processing of the leaves is different for each brew. All tea leaves have enzymes, producing a chemical reaction called oxidation. Oolong tea has an oxidation process between green tea and black tea; it is oxidised partially. It is responsible for oolong tea’s colour and characteristic taste. However, the colour of the leaves varies between different brands, ranging from green to dark brown. (1)
Is Oolong Tea Good For Weight Loss:
Oolong tea is plucked and dried under the sun, partially oxidised before they are twisted or curled. Since it is partially oxidised, it retains a lot of its antioxidant and lipid-lowering properties. The antioxidants help to scavenge harmful free oxygen radicals, thereby helping you lose weight.
How Oolong Tea Promotes Weight Loss?
- Oolong tea has anti-inflammatory properties and polyphenols that help weight loss.
- There is a 10% increase in your metabolic rate, burning belly fat. Oolong tea has caffeine and Epigallo Catechins Gallate (EGCG), which together work acceleration of fat oxidation.
- Oolong tea regulates LDL receptors in the liver by reducing bad cholesterol in your body.
- You can prevent diabetes by drinking oolong tea regularly. Oolong tea inhibits an enzyme alpha-glucosidase, that is responsible for glucose absorption in the small intestine.
- Weight loss is about spending the energy that you acquired with food. Oolong tea can help the body to burn fat, promoting weight loss.
- Oolong tea increases the pH levels of the digestive tract, improving the digestive process. It prevents stomach ulcers, bacterial infection, and acid reflux.
- Oolong tea is a calorie-free beverage and comes in several flavours. Therefore, you can drink without having to worry about calories.
How Oolong Tea Helps in Losing Weight:
1. Increases Metabolism:
Various antioxidants increase metabolism that helps to fight with numerous chronic diseases. So as metabolism increases, losing weight becomes easy. Caffeine also aids the metabolism of the body. Thereby it helps us reach a particular goal faster as the body produces more energy in working towards it. It also has an excellent aroma; it has a taste where consuming 3-4 cups a day boosts metabolic process. To lose weight effectively, use honey instead of white sugar or artificial sweeteners. (2)
2. Helps Burn Body Fat:
Oolong tea has antioxidants in abundance that help burning fat more efficiently than any other beverage. It helps reduce belly fat along with flabby parts of your body. Oolong tea has polyphenols that induce weight loss and has anti-inflammatory properties. It has caffeine and Epigallo Catechins (EGCG) that work together to accelerate fat oxidation.
See More: Is Black Tea Good For Weight Loss
3. Rich In Antioxidants:
Oolong tea has antioxidants in abundance. It also has vitamins and minerals necessary for a healthy body. Vitamins A, B, C, E, and K and minerals like calcium, manganese, copper, carotene, selenium, and potassium. The detoxifying alkaloids in this tea, like folic acid, niacinamide help detoxify your body by getting rid of unnecessary toxins. (3)
4. A Calorie-free Drink:
Oolong tea has little to no calories in it. It is a fantastic replacement for several beverages that are high in calories. It can satiate hunger and makes us feel fresh and active throughout the day. Intake of more than necessary calories builds unnecessary fat in our body. Include oolong tea in your daily routine and kickstart the weight loss process.
5. Improves Heart Health:
Regular consumption of antioxidants in oolong tea may help decrease the risk of heart disease, stroke, and high blood pressure in some people. It is useful in regulating blood pressure. Caffeine in oolong tea may slightly increase blood pressure in some people. But this effect tends to reduce with regular consumption of caffeine. (4)
6. Prevents Eczema & Improves Skin Health:
Oolong tea is a relief for those suffering from skin allergies. We need to consider dermatitis in particular as it can be pretty embarrassing. Some studies suggest oolong tea has anti-allergenic antioxidants that relieve inflammation. It also makes your skin glow and youthful. For long term results, you can drink oolong tea thrice a day for six months. By combating free radicles in your body, oolong tea can suppress allergic reactions. Oolong tea also helps treat acne, wrinkles, and other signs of ageing. (5)
See More: Green Tea Weight Loss Diet
7. Diabetes Management:
Some researches suggest drinking five to six cups of oolong tea routinely for 30 days can aid people with type 2 diabetes. It is essential for the stabilisation of blood sugar levels. Some studies suggest that the polyphenols in oolong tea escalate insulin activity, thereby directly benefiting people with diabetes. However, it doesn’t improve the metabolism of glucose in non-diabetic adults. (6)
8. Reduces Stress:
Stress has become a part of everybody’s life. It is one of the primary causes of weight gain. Oolong tea increases the serotonin (feel-good hormone) levels that relieve stress and prevents depression that leads to emotional eating. The Chinese during the ancient days used to drink oolong tea to be a way to relax. A study conducted on Chinese women who took oolong tea to drink found that they experienced a reduction in stress levels.
9. Aids Digestion:
Oolong tea reduces acidity in the digestive tract, reducing inflammation in people with acid reflux and ulcer issues. It is mildly antiseptic, therefore, clears your belly from terrible bacteria. This hot beverage, with its aroma and flavour, soothes the stomach. Though there is a need to have further proof to justify this information.
10. Improves Bone And Tooth Toughness:
The antioxidants in oolong tea help keep your teeth and bones healthy. A study conducted on postmenopausal Chinese women who consumed oolong tea regularly had 4.5–4.9% higher bone densities than people who don’t drink tea. A more top bone mineral density lowers the risk of fractures. Oolong tea is a rich source of fluoride, which strengthens tooth enamel reduces the formation of dental plaque. Thereby preventing tooth decay.
11. Fights Cancer:
Cell mutation can cause cancer. The antioxidants in oolong tea avert cell mutation that can lead to cancer. Tea polyphenols also decrease the rate at which cancer cell division occurs. Antioxidants prevent damage to DNA and cell proliferation. Studies show by taking in a required amount of oolong tea a day can cut the risk of cancer by 4 per cent. It is said to prevent melanoma or skin cancer and has protective effects for lung, oesophagal, pancreatic, liver, and colorectal cancers. (7)
Easy DIY Recipes To Prepare Oolong Tea For Weight Loss:
Here is a quick way to make oolong tea at your home.
Using Tea Leaves:
- One teaspoon oolong tea leaves.
- 1 cup of water.
Method To Prepare:
- Take a bowl and boil a cup of water.
- Once the water is boiled, switch off the stove.
- Add oolong tea leaves to the bowl and cover it with a lid.
- Allow it to steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain the tea and enjoy!
Using Tea Bags:
- One oolong tea bag.
- 1 cup of water.
Method To Prepare:
- Take a bowl and boil a cup of water.
- Once boiled, switch off the stove.
- Put the teabag in the cup of boiled water and steep for a few minutes.
- Remove the tea bag and enjoy your beverage.
Using Tea Powder:
- One teaspoon oolong tea powder.
- One cup of water.
How To Prepare:
- Bring a cup of water to boil.
- Add the oolong tea powder to the boiled water and let it steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the tea before consuming.
Best Time To Drink Oolong Tea For Weight Loss:
- Drink a hot cup of Oolong tea in the morning, along with breakfast.
- It can also be taken 30 minutes before lunch or dinner.
- You can consume Oolong tea with your evening snack.
- It is better to limit the intake of this tea to 3 to 4 cups to enjoy the benefits without causing any harm.
Some Side Effects Of Oolong Tea:
- Drinking oolong tea in moderate amounts has positive effects. But drinking excessively (more than 4 cups) may cause more damage.
- Caffeine in oolong tea is not suitable for your health. The side effects of caffeine are headache, nervousness, irregular heartbeat, heartburn, nausea, etc.
- Pregnant women should consult a doctor before consuming oolong tea on high doses regularly.
- Diabetic patients should also talk to the doctor before the consumption of any such tea.
- You may also become “dependent” on tea to the point that they develop withdrawal symptoms if they suddenly stop drinking it.
Top 10 Oolong Tea Brands For Weight Loss:
- Prince of peace organic oolong tea.
- Foojoy china classic min-nan oolong tea.
- Vahdam, high mountain oolong tea.
- Super organics metabolism oolong tea pods.
- Cha4tea 36 oolong tea.
- The tao of tea black dragon oolong tea.
- Avant grub full-flavoured oolong tea bags.
- Team one global Darjeeling oolong tea.
- Teatulia organic oolong tea.
- Ten ren king’s oolong tea.
So, with the plethora of benefits, oolong tea provides, let’s add it to our diet and start shedding those extra pounds right away in a healthy way. Let us know how oolong tea has helped you lose weight.