Top 6 Eye Yoga Exercises
In the era of Smart phones, children and adults have become victims of it. Long gazing of screens, watching phones in darkness and prolonged working hours can severely damage your optic nerves. Along with a blunt pain in your eyes and distorted vision, you may also experience headaches and migraine. Yoga for eyes is a highly recommended way to strengthen your eyes and improve your vision. These exercises can be performed anywhere and anytime, so you don’t need excuses to skip your eye care routine. Read on to learn about the best Yoga eye exercises for healthy eyesight.
Best Yoga for Healthy Eyes:
Here are some effective Yoga eye exercises with pictures and detailed steps:
1. Focus Shifting:
This is a best Yoga for your eyes, which can works by shifting your focus on a particular object. Object Zoom is one of the effective ways to strengthen your eyes.
How To Do:
- Take deep breaths and relax.
- With your thumb pointing up, hold one arm straight out in front of you in loose fist.
- Now focus on your thumb. Keeping your eyes focused on it, slowly move your thumb towards your nose till the time you can no longer focus on it.
- Relax and pause for a second or two and then lengthen your arm back to its position. Remember to keep focus on your thumb.
- Repeat this exercise for at least 10 times.
2. Vertical and Horizontal Lines with Your Eyes:
This is another simple eyes exercise in Yoga, that can help in strengthening your nerves through object gazing. Also, it is a great way to enjoy the beauty of darkness and give your eyes some much needed break. Here are the steps to do it:
How To Do:
- Close your eyes slowly to feel complete darkness.
- Open your eyes in the centre.
- Now look straight up and down, drawing a straight line with your eyes.
- As you look up inhale and when you look down exhale.
- Repeat it at least for 10 times.
- Close your eyes and allow them to be bathed in darkness.
- After sometime open your eyes and as you look to your left inhale and draw a straight line with your right eye and exhale.
- Repeat this also for 10 times at least.
- Allow your eyes to be bathed in darkness.
See More: Yoga Exercises For Lower Back Pain
Palming of eyes is a therapy for tired eyes. It can help in relaxing the eye muscles and offering warmth from your hands. You can also experience darkness by covering your eyes for a brief period.This eye technique can be kept to the last after all other exercises are completed as it relieves tension and allow your eyes to rest.
How To Do:
- Rub your hands for 15 seconds until they feel warm.
- Now place your hands over the eyes.
- Do not touch eyeballs directly, but hollow your hands slightly so that it forms a curtain for your eyes.
- Now close your eyes and take deep breaths and relax.
- Let it bath in darkness and feel the warmth and energy from your hands.
- Do it for 5 minutes and then slowly open your eyes when it is ready to emerge.
4. Eye Rolling:
Another simple exercise that can activate your eye muscles is the eye rolling technique. It can also promote good blood circulation to your optical nerves and improve your vision. This is best face Yoga for eyes.
How To Do:
- Sit upright with a long spine and relaxed breath.
- Soften your gaze by relaxing the eye muscles.
- Don’t move your head, direct your gaze up towards the ceiling of your room and then slowly circle your eyes in clock-wise direction.
- Draw as large circle you can with your eyes.
- Focus on the object and let the movement feel soothing to your eyes.
- Repeat it at least for 3 times.
- Rest and perform the same exercise in anti-clockwise direction.
See More: Yoga Poses For Shoulder Pain
5. Distance Gazing:
The gazing technique is another great way to improve your focus. It can exercise your eyes and increase their performance.
How To Do:
- Rest your gaze on a distant object.
- Focus on the object as clearly as possible.
- Take a deep breath, and then slowly shift your gaze to another distant object around you.
- Imagine your eyes are gently “drinking in” the image you see.
- Repeat the same, momentarily pausing at objects at varying distances away from you.
6. Near and Far Sighted:
This is another eye exercise which can increase the productivity of your eyes and also alleviate headaches and other problems.
How To Do:
- Place your palms in front of your eyes and stay focus on your palms.
- As you open your palms to its sides inhale and focus on the horizon.
- While you bring back your palms at the original position exhale.
- It is beneficial to improve your vision both up and close far away.
Those are some of the best Yoga exercises to improve your eye sight. Your eyes are the best gift to you from God. They are extremely sensitive and once prone to damage, can be difficult to reverse. It is important to rest your eyes for sometime after few hours and also use protective screen guards to reduce the impact of your screens. Taking small precautions today can protect your eyes to make them last for a lifetime!
Frequency Asked Questions And Answers:
1. Can Yoga Improve Eyesight?
Those who suffer from Mypoia and Hypermetropia have greatly benefitted from Yoga for eyes. These exercises strengthen your vision and improve your flexibility. By doing focus shifting, object gazing and zooming of eyes, your eyes will have a dedicated workout just like your body!
2. Can My Eyesight Be Corrected With Just Yoga?
Although Yoga can improve your vision over a period of time, it cannot correct your vision defects instantly. You need to seek the help of an ophthalmologist, who can suggest either glasses or certain correction procedures like Laser. Practising Yoga hand-in-hand can quicken the results.
3. What Are The Best Foods for Vision Improvement?
Foods that are rich in beta carotene are recommended for improving your eyesight. Carrots, berries, green leafy vegetables like Spinach, Fish like Salmon, tuna, Egg, C-Vitamin fruits like Oranges can protect your eyes from damage and aid in maintaining a good vision.
See More: Anatomy Of Yoga Poses