Cinnamon is regarded as the world’s most favourite spice and for many good reasons! It is packed with flavour and also offers impressive health benefits. In recent times, many studies were conducted on the benefits of using Cinnamon for weight loss, which has shown some impressive results. Want to know more? Read on!
Cinnamon is the bark of the “Cinnamomum” trees, which grow in the tropical climates. It is also known as “Dalchini” in Hindi, “Dalchinachekka” in Telugu, “Pattai” in Tamil and “Dalcinni” in Kannada. It is widely used in Indian cooking, as well as in baked goods to add an earthy, spicy flavour. This article focuses on the possibilities and limitations of Cinnamon for obesity control, along with methods to use it.
Table Of Content:
- Is Cinnamon Good For Weight Loss?
- Types Of Cinnamon For Weight Loss
- Benefits Of Cinnamon For Weight Loss
- How To Use Cinnamon For Weight Loss?
- Precautions To Know While Using Cinnamon For Weight Loss
Is Cinnamon Good For Weight Loss?
According to recent studies, oral consumption of Cinnamon in certain doses has shown significant improvement in the reduction of body weight and abdominal fat deposits. Taking Cinnamon regularly is also known to counterbalance the ill effects of a poor diet, by increasing the metabolic rate and aiding in better digestion. (1)
Types Of Cinnamon For Weight Loss:
There are 4 different types of Cinnamon (2) called –
- Ceylon Cinnamon – slightly sweet and reddish-brown colour.
- Indonesian Cinnamon – Spicy, with a strong aroma.
- Vietnamese Cinnamon – Spicy and Sweet, with the pungent flavour.
- Cassia Cinnamon – also called Chinese Cinnamon. It has a powerful aroma with a spicy and bitter taste.
Ceylon cinnamon is called the true cinnamon, which is extensively used in weight loss diets. It contains low percentages of Coumarin, an aromata lending chemical, which can be harmful in excess amounts. Cassia Cinnamon can lead to toxic effects on the body due to the high amounts of Coumarin. While both the varieties are effective in promoting weight loss, Ceylon is a safe and best cinnamon for weight loss home remedies.
Back To TOC
Benefits Of Cinnamon For Weight Loss:
Here are some of the many ways in which Dalchini contributes to overall weight reduction and body fat management:
1. Improves Insulin Sensitivity:
There is a direct relation between insulin and overweight. If you suffer from insulin resistance or poor insulin production, the glucose levels in the body shoot up, which can get converted into fat deposits in the body. Cinnamon can help you overcome this problem with the help of its polyphenols. These agents have shown improvement in insulin sensitivity and glucose transport. (3)
See Also: How To Use Coconut Oil For Weight Loss
2. Anti-Oxidant Effect:
Cinnamon acts as a natural anti-oxidant to effectively fight against the free radicals which damage the body cells. Along with this, it also aids in better oxidation of the fats to avoid them from getting deposited in the tissues. This can contribute to better management of your lipid profile, which is important to maintain a healthy weight. Cinnamon is helps for weight loss by increasing fat oxidation.
3. Fights Obesity:
Cinnamon contains Cinnamaldehyde, which is what lends the spice its characteristic flavour. This agent has shown anti-obesity results in a group of mice on which a study was conducted. (4) It’s impact on humans, however, is not supported by any valid evidences.
Back To TOC
How To Use Cinnamon For Weight Loss?
Now that you have understood the importance of Cinnamon in weight loss, it’s time to learn the methods of using it:
1. Cinnamon Powder:
If you are not into chewing raw Cinnamon sticks, then try having Cinnamon powder for weight loss. Finely ground Dalchini can be used in cooking, baking or even in your herbal teas to spice them up. It is readily available in the market, or you can prepare it at home for freshness:
See Also: Benefits Of Cinnamon And Honey
- Cinnamon Sticks – ½ Cup
- Brown Sugar – ½ Tbsp
How To Prepare?
- In a heated pan, add cinnamon sticks.
- Dry roast them for 2-3 minutes and be careful not to burn them.
- Remove from heat and allow them to cool.
- Now, powder them in a grinder along with brown sugar.
- Sieve to remove any lumps and store the powder in a glass container.
How To Use?
- This powder can be used up to two times a day.
- You can use Cinnamon powder with honey for enhanced benefits like weight loss.
- For better absorption take this powder mixed with water.
Back To TOC
2. Cinnamon Tea:
Cinnamon tea is a great fat burning drink, which can also alleviate other symptoms like PCOS, flatulence, acidity etc., It often prepared with honey to increase the rate of fat burn in the body and reduce belly fat. This tea is also known to improve your satiety and reduce your hunger cravings for a long time.
- Cinnamon Powder – ½ teaspoon.
- Water – 1 Cup.
- Honey – 1 teaspoon.
How To Prepare?
- Boil a cup of water in a vessel.
- Now, add cinnamon powder and keep the flame in a simmer mode.
- After 2 minutes, remove from heat.
- Let it cool down and add honey.
- Mix well and consume immediately.
How Often Should I Use?
- This drink consumes not more than 2 times a day.
Along with the above-mentioned remedies, Cinnamon supplements are also available in the form of oral pills, tablets or capsules. You must never consume them without doctors’ advice.
See Also: Benefits Of Cinnamon Tea And Preparation
Precautions To Know While Using Cinnamon For Weight Loss:
Due to the tall claims made on the effectiveness of Cinnamon in weight loss, many people tend to overconsume it for faster results. This is very hazardous and can pose serious side effects like:
- Digestive Disorders.
- Heartburn and oral sores.
- Allergic Reactions like redness, hives etc.,
- Lowered blood sugar levels.
- Interaction with blood thinning medications.
- Toxicity that occurs with eating Cassia Cinnamon in large doses.
Back To TOC
While Cinnamon can definitely help in meeting your weight loss goals, you must note that it is not a magic ingredient. The small doses of Cinnamon, when combined with a physical exercise and a healthy, low-calorie balanced diet alone, can give you improved results. It is also recommended to seek a doctor’s advice before taking the Cinnamon route, especially if you have chronic health problems, pregnancy, lactating or on long-term medications.