Flaxseeds are known to be one of the original “superfoods”, which are totally worth the title. These tiny reddish-brown seeds are packed with impressive health benefits to our body. Flax seeds are also used for weight loss reduction in obese people and weight management in healthy individuals. Including flaxseeds in your daily diet is believed to prevent a number of diseases associated with overweight!
Flaxseed is a type of food crop that is widely cultivated in the countries of Eurasia and Mediterranean regions. They are also known as “Linseeds” or “Common Flax”. In India, they are called by different names like “Alsi” in Hindi, Gujarati and Punjabi, “Ali Vidai” in Tamil, “Agase” in Kannada, “Jawas or Alashi” in Marathi, “Avise Ginjalu” in Telugu, “Tish or Pesi” in Bengali.
In this article, we shall learn the composition of flaxseeds and how they affect our body weight.
Table Of Content:
- Is Flaxseed (Alsi) Good For Weight Loss?
- How Do Flax Seeds Help For Weight loss?
- What are the Ways To Use Flax Seeds For Weight Loss?
- Flax Seed Drink Recipe For Weight Loss
- How Much Flax seed Should I Eat Per Day?
Is Flaxseed (Alsi) Good For Weight Loss?
Flax is a fiber-rich crop, which is loaded with soluble dietary fiber. (1) When mixed with water or saliva, this agent turns into a sticky, waxy substance, that works as a natural laxative. This helps in smooth bowel movements, which is very important for healthy body weight. Not only that, but the flaxseed fiber is also known to keep your hunger levels in check and reduce your food cravings, thus indirectly contributing to weight loss. (2)
See More: Fenugreek Benefits For Weight Loss
How Do Flax Seeds Help For Weight loss?
Along with important nutrients like Carbohydrates, Proteins, Vitamins and Minerals, Flax seeds also rich in certain agents, which affect your body mass composition. Here are the major benefits of taking linseeds for losing belly weight and excess weight:
1. Omega Fatty Acids:
Seeds contain about 42% of Fat, out of which 73% comprises of polyunsaturated fatty acids like Omega-6 and Omega 3 acids. Out of them, a particular agent called Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) which is associated with improved blood lipid profiles and body metabolic parameters.
See More: Are Raisins Good For Weight Loss
Lignans are chemical compounds found in plants and are powerful antioxidants. They indirectly contribute to weight loss by improving the functioning of your cells which burn fat. Lignans, when combined with the effects of fiber, are known to reduce bad cholesterol levels (LDL), which is directly linked to obesity and heart health. (3)
You will be surprised to know that linseeds contain an incredible 95% of dietary fiber. A serving of 2 tablespoons of this ingredient can help you meet 15-25% of your daily fiber requirements. This fiber is made up of mucilage gums, cellulose and lignin, all of which contribute to good gut health and belly fat loss.
Back To TOC
What are the Ways To Use Flax Seeds For Weight Loss?
Now that you have understood the impressive ways in which Alsi can help you lose weight, it’s time to learn how to use them in your daily diet:
- Flaxseeds can be taken in different ways – whole seeds, oil, ground paste or roasted powder. Of these forms, whole seeds may take a little more time to digest. They pass out of the tract without getting broken down by the stomach enzymes and hence offer very little benefits.
- You must always make sure that the seeds are chewed properly to maximise its properties. By getting mixed with saliva, the fiber is extracted and passed down.
- The best way to eat linseeds is to grind them coarsely and add them to your breakfast cereal or salads.
- You can even make a paste out of them and mix with your smoothies for better texture and benefits
- Roasted seeds can be blended with spices into an aromatic powder, which can be used to season your dishes.
- Flaxseed oil is also known to be beneficial in weight loss and can be added to salads or soups. However, it doesn’t contain fiber and may not be as efficient as the seed itself.
See More: Flaxseeds for Hair Growth
Flax Seed Drink Recipe For Weight Loss
Here’s a tasty, healthy recipe that you can easily try at home with linseeds to advance your weight loss journey:
- Ground Flax Seed – 1 tbsp
- Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Hot water – about 200ml
- Take a cup of hot water and add flax seeds to it.
- Combine them well until a sticky consistency achieved.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice.
- Have it immediately for better benefits.
How Often Should I Do This?: Once a day.
See More: Salad Recipes For Weight Loss
How Much Flax seed Should I Eat Per Day?
Experts recommend having 2 tbsp of Flaxseeds, which is about 16gm of serving per day. Individuals who are overweight or suffering from bad cholesterol levels can take up to 5tbsp of serving. However, it is advisable to contact a nutritionist or a trained medical expert regarding this limit for your body type and requirements.
Back To TOC
While Flaxseed can definitely help you meet your weight loss goals, you must remember that it is not a magical ingredient. It alone is not sufficient to reduce your body mass or fat levels. Flax must be combined with a healthy diet, exercise and lifestyle to experience significant improvement. You can even speak to your doctor about flax seed supplements like tablets and pills to achieve faster results. So, when you are you taking the Flax route?